English Spot with a half floppy ear?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
Hi all, I breed English Spots, and in my most recent litter (they're 6 weeks now) I have a baby whose left ear flops over about half way up. I have not seen this happen before (except where ears have been damaged) and wondered if anybody might know why this has happened? I have had a few litters from the doe and the buck and none of their babies have had this before.
What do you think?

Thanks.

Welcome!

First of all. Pictures!!! I'd love to see some English Spot babies! :nod

I raise Fuzzy Lops, so I am all about the loppy ears. But.. recently I've been taking care of my friends Checkered Giant does while they rear their litters. I noticed with one of the litters that several had a few days where parts of the ear flopped a bit. Not completely, to where the cartilage was completely broken over- but just slightly bent. Eventually the ears stood back up completely and just the tips bent, but now all ears are all up.

Hopefully your babies ears will stand completely soon!

On rare occasions, I see erect eared rabbits whose ears lop. It is most often due to warm, steady temperatures, injury, or weak cartilage development in the ear base.

I agree with Clarzoo that the ear may go erect again.

Pam

Thanks Pam!

Sadly, the doe in my avatar passed away last night, at 8 years old. :(
Her partner is missing her terribly this morning, poor thing.

Back