ended up getting x-pens, but they look bare!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evansrabbitranch

Reaction score
Ok here is my messy Chinny, took the photo before I cleaned up lol.

DSCF4582.jpg

Here is my precious Dragon, a lovely FA who is very poorly socialized. His pen is by my desk so we can share space without invading his space or him feeling like an intruder in mine.

DSCF4571.jpg

I am unsure what to put in to make it more comphy and less clinical looking. The floor is protected with those plastic mats they sell to protect carpet from desk chairs and make it easier to move the chair. The wood chips in the litter boxes was a temp fix. Just got some carefresh :) Each has a rope toss toy, chinny likes boxes, I haven't offered one to Dragon yet because I gave hima tp tube and he ATE it lol.

Working on designing a hay manger that will help limit how much gets tossed around when I give loose hay, most of the time they get hay cubes. I am having to teach Dragon what hay is as the former owners believed hay was for horses and nest boxes.

So what do you all think? What should I get? Bath carpets? door mats? fleece? towels? I am open to any suggestions!

I would put hay in there. You can put some in the litter box for now.

You can try some fleece or a small pet bed. Not all rabbits will use a bed, but some will.

More toys are a good idea. Try some jungle balls, grass mats and willow balls. Even cardboard boxes can make good toys. Try stuffing some hay into a cardboard tube.

I'm not allowed to use a lot of loose hay, so they get hay cubes. Had a big discussion about this in nutrition. Thats why I am looking at building a manger to keep the hay more controlled. Now if I could figure out a way to keep everything inside the pen with them I would have fewer issues with the landlords. Just not sure yet what might work. They said if we can not control the hay we can not have the rabbits.

LOL, I meant more like floor covering but the toy ideas are great too! Many thanks :D

grass matts...why is it bad if he ate the toilet paper tube?..its not gonna hurt him..thats why we give them tubes filled with hay.,.,i would give them someplace to hide..if u dont wanna put a box INSIDE the xpen then what i do is ziptie some cardboard on the OUTSIDE of the xpen just on two sides and not very high ..enough to give them some kind of hidey area and if their is a draft they can get away from it if they want...or hang some fleece fabric on a couple of sides of it...ull see them want to hang our more in that area...they dont like just being out in the open all the time..especially Dragon ..he needs some seclusion and safety spot...

Oh ok I will get him a box just for him that he can hide in. I wasn't sure if it was ok for rabbits to eat the cardboard so I was worried. Now I know and he will get fun stuff made of cardboard :) I will look into grassmats too. Thanks!

The two story card board house is a good idea. You could also put the litter box in an open top cardboard box with a couple of cutouts for doorways and no top. This will give privacy and something to chew on. We got mangers for the hay that hand from the side of the hutch--just don't ask me what brand as it was awhile ago. Not perfect, but they work good. We also give ours the TP rolls and ones from paper towels to chew and play with, no problems with them getting chewed to nothing and cheap to replace.

Oh good idea for the litter box! He might like that :) All the commercially offered hay racks/mangers I have seen are totally open and made of wire, this would still get hay everywhere. I am working on something made of wood to keep it in more. Might try a few made of modified carboard boxes first. Will share photos when I have made some.

This may sound stupid but I tied a kleenex box to the side of the cage and put hay in there for Popcorn, it does get spread about but he's a lionhead and his butt fur collects everything! I wanted something mesh-like but the box works great (I tied it to the cage cuz he'll flip it over if I don't). Maybe make a shelf of some sorts so they can hide under, I'd also put a roof on there, my tiny lionheads can jump 2 feet from a sitting position

I'm not worried about putting a roof on the x-pens, the room they are in has gates blocking them from leaving and the cords are encased and blocked off so that even if they get around the blocks they can't chew anything. Neither have shown any desire to jump out but Chinny sure does a bum rush when I open the pen lol. It's cute. I don't have any empty tissue boxes right now but if I get any I will stuff some and see if they like them :) I got 3 yards of cheap plain colored fleece today. Man no wonder it costs so much, you get a ton of it in one yard! I cut each yard into 4 sections and ended up with a total of 12 blankets for them :) I got a dark smokey blue, a teal or turquoise like color (never can remember which is which lol), and a lilac color. So far they seem to like the ones I gave them. Dragon curled right up on his and Chinny started digging in hers like it was hiding some great treasure ha ha ha!

Latest posts

Back