Emma's Sick in Bed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'm going to page the vet, but I'd appreciate some advice on this issue....

Last night, things seemed fine. When I got up at 8:30 am, Emma was resting on the floor and then crawled into bed, where she'sremained. She refuses her herbal supplement, Simethicone and Romaine--all of which she normally loves.

I wonder if she's gassy, tho I don't feel specific gas bubbles. (She changes her position somewhat frequently, and her eyes are dull and somtimes closed.)

The only thing that's changed is that I'd put unsweetend apple juice in her water (about 1/2 t. to 150-200 mL) and fed her pumpkin (about 1.5 t.) for three days'.

Update: Her vet called; he suggesteda dose of Simethicone now and one Critical-Care feedingin an hour (possibly a dose of pain med., too, if she's still uncomfy). He'll be available to see her after 1 pm, if she's not doing better by then.

Thank you,

Jenk

juliew19673 wrote:
Hi Jenk: Sorry to hear about Emma and no advice that I could give but will keep Emma in my prayers.. Please update with any news.
I syringe-fed Emma Critical Care.I'm not sure how much of the20 cc's was wasted;she let some of it run out of her mouth.:(

She's had three doses of Simethicone since 9:45 am; at 1:30 pm, she got up and started eating hay (and is still eating it now, 15 min. later).

The vet called back, as promised. He saidthat I can give her Simethicone every 4-6 hours, especially if it seems to be helping. I'm to syringe-feed her water today, as well as moreCritical Care tonight, if she doesn't eat much hay and continues refusing her greens. He also said thathe wants to see her tomorrow (to give her SQs and perform other tests).

Jenk

Aw Hugs to you. You sure aren't gettin abreak huh :(I hope she is ok. I am pretty sure that you can't overdose teh simethicone from what I have heard others say in the past but don't quote me on it I am sure Pip is good with knowledge on this. Have you got a warm rice sock for her too?

I hope she is feeling bettersoon

Come on, Emma! Get better, girly. Are you still going to take her in to see the vet? Poor baby. At least she's eating hay! I hope both of you feel better soon...

polly wrote:
Aw Hugs to you. You sure aren't gettin abreak huh :(I hope she is ok. I am pretty sure that you can't overdose teh simethicone from what I have heard others say in the past but don't quote me on it I am sure Pip is good with knowledge on this. Have you got a warm rice sock for her too?

I hope she is feeling bettersoon
No, we're not catching a break when it comes to our pets' health. :( These repetitive issues confound/frustrate us.We feed our girlshay24/7 and leafy greens twice daily; weprovide them withclean water daily; weclean their litter boxes daily. Still, we go through issue after issue after issue....What gives?!?

It doesn't help that our only cat is also having very expensive medical issues (yet to be accurately diagnosed).

I've given Emma a .10 cc dose of Simethicone four times so far today. Her fourth dose (and all successive doses) are being spaced out 4-6 hours. The first three were given an hour apart, which is standard.

I don't have a warm rice sock but might try the trick of warm water in an empty pop bottle. (Not guarantees that she'd rest up against it, though.)

juliew19673 wrote:
The ever hopeful site of hay eating - Yay! Fingers still crossed for Emma.. Sounds like the Simethocone is helping though huh?

I think/hopethat the Simethicone is working. Still, I'd heard no gas sounds from her (prior to one timetoday, after she had Simethicone). She finally ate her greens, but I'm going to still syringe-feed her water (and some Critical Care tonight), though.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Come on, Emma! Get better, girly. Are you still going to take her in to see the vet? Poor baby. At least she's eating hay! I hope both of you feel better soon...
Yes, I'll definitely take her in tomorrow. Thank you for the well-wishes. :)

Is she eating any better? wow it just keeps getting more and more for you :( can you get oregano over there? fresh its meant to be good for tummy troubles if you feel comfortable adding it into her diet anyway can't say I blame you if you are being really careful though.

Nose rubs to Emma x

polly wrote:
Is she eating any better? wow it just keeps getting more and more for you :( can you get oregano over there? fresh its meant to be good for tummy troubles if you feel comfortable adding it into her diet anyway can't say I blame you if you are being really careful though.

Nose rubs to Emma x
It's 4 pm here now; Emma's resting (as she normally would be at this time), so it's hard for me to say if she's eating better. I'll know more when she (hopefully) becomes more alert around 7:30 pm tonight.

Oregano is outrageously expensive (about $3-$4 for a smidge of it); so I'm not certain if I'll try it or not. She gets parsley frequently, which is also supposed to be good for the tummy. (Sadly, she dislikes mint; at least my other bun, Zoe, loves it.)

angieluv wrote:
The dosage of simethicone really sounds too low..
I give 1.0 cc at a time but not more than 3 doses

Maureen
OMG...I am losing it. I now recall the vet telling me a while back to give Zoe between 2-3 cc's at a time. Somehow, I got things mixed-up in my head (with balancing what feels likea bazillion medications).

Now I'm really kicking myself because my husband and I just returned from the grocery store. I'd told him that we don't need to pick-up Simethicone because we've plenty on hand. But that was when I had .10-.30 cc's in my head as the dosage range.

Someone, please just shoot me and put me out of my misery....

I feel sad for you ( probably because I identify with you so much):(
Maybe you do have enough simethicone without going out .I never gave 2-3 cc at once but over 4-6 hrs maybe "hugs"
Maureen
We're here to support you cause half the time i feel like:pullhair:with trying to coordinate multiply petmeds .

angieluv wrote:
I feel sad for you ( probably because I identify with you so much):(
Maybe you do have enough simethicone without going out .I never gave 2-3 cc at once but over 4-6 hrs maybe "hugs"
Maureen
We're here to support you cause half the time i feel like:pullhair:with trying to coordinate multiply petmeds .
Heh. Yes, you, of all people, definitely understand my situation. :hug2: I hate to say that misery loves company, but, well...

Two things occurred since my last post:

1) I've tried syringing water into her(since she's hardly drank anytoday); she lets it run out of her mouth, ingesting very little of it. The process only frustrates us both.

2) While I didhave enough Simethicone left, I managed to knock over the bottle, wasting most of it (just an hour after returning from the grocery store for other stuff).

After spilling the med., something inside of me snapped; Icried for 45 min.--the kind of cry that makes the eyes swell up,the nose runand the mouth drool. (Basically, I had what Oprah calls "the ugly cry.") Can't say that I feel much better, since I still feel ultra-defeated.

You know that it's baaaad when you start daydreaming about giving away all of your animals so that you can have emotional stability and enjoyment of life again....

You know what....

Ithink that you should just let Emma be until morning . I think that she'll still be here.
I have definitely been in your shoes and sometimes we can't control everything and it's time to step back and maybe go to bed early and let them just just make it through the night without us.
We can't be good or bad moms if we're not here at all.

try to take a break for yourself

You are such an excellent attentive bunny mom that it's killing you and that won't help them or US!

angieluv wrote:
You know what....

Ithink that you should just let Emma be until morning . I think that she'll still be here.
I have definitely been in your shoes and sometimes we can't control everything and it's time to step back and maybe go to bed early and let them just just make it through the night without us.
We can't be good or bad moms if we're not here at all.

try to take a break for yourself

You are such an excellent attentive bunny mom that it's killing you and that won't help them or US!
I know that you're right; yet it's still hard to deal with the concern/fear of waking up to a more-weakened (or dead) bunny. Actually, the fear of increased vet costs (from possibly having to hospitalize Emma again) has me feeling overly anxious, as well.

I won't make it to bed early tonight (it's already 10:30 pm), and I've laundry still going. Ack. But I will try to sneak in a nap sometime tomorrow (around the vet visit, of course).

Latest posts

Back