Emergency Spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiron

Reaction score
From Spring's advice, I'm making a new thread :)

For those of you who haven't read my intro, I recently adopted 2 bunnies with all paperwork stating they were female. I come to find out one isn't, and I might end up with a litter of bunnylettes in a month. The female was seperated from her litter when I adopted her so I don't really want her having to go through all of that again. Now I honestly don't know if she's actually pregnant or how to tell, but undergunfire mentioned an emergency spay. Now how far into the pregnancy are you allowed to do those? If she is pregnant, it would be a little over a week now. I am nervous as heck about all this so don't mind me if I'm a bit jitterly. These 2 are my first "real" pet bunnies and please just treat me as a semi-first timer. I've had bunnies in the past but they were the outside bunnies that were loved and taken care for but not the the extent I could take care of them now.

I've moved your thread to the infirmary so more people see it. Most breeders don't have a lot of experience doing emergency spays- since we usually want our does pregnant, lol!!!

I have heard that it is safe to do an emergency spay into the second week of pregnancy, but not totally unheard of to do it later. There is a list of good rabbit vets at the top of the infirmary section, check to see who's in your area if you don't already have a good vet.

Have you already seperated your two rabbits? Why do you think she is pregnant? Have you attempted to sex your rabbits? If you think one is a male and old enough to father a litter, then his testicles should be very obvious and easy to see.

A really easy check of this would be to take your two rabbits into a rabbit saavy vet and get them sexed. That could rule in/out pregnancy really fast!

Good luck!

Oh sorry about that and thank you for moving it :)

Yes, I will be contacting one of those vets (which just thankfully happens to be down the street) tomorrow and hopefully get her spayed asap.

That's the thing clarzoo, his testicles are clearly visible and compared to the other males I've seen, he has HUGE testicles. I trusted the animal shelter enough where I didn't check him till it was too late when 2 days later he was mounting and hassling my female and I was curious enough to check why. No they are not seperated only because at the moment, I don't have any room to seperate them. I would feel guilty to favor one and only cage one of them and I only have one cage at the moment because I only planned on getting one bun when I went to the shelter.

Now that I know about the emergency spay she will be spayed this week unless any of you could give me a valid reason not to otherwise.

Edit : He's a year old, so yes he's old enough to father some bunnylettes :?

I am glad to hear you have found a good rabbit vet nearby.

I would definitely seperate the rabbits as soon as you can. If the female is indeed pregnant, she may become very aggressive towards the male, as she won't want to be bothered much longer. Rabbit fights are viscious and can be life threatening. If you aren't able to get a cage set up right away, a dog crate will work nicely. Have you looked at some of the members NIC cages on this forum? They are made from materials easily found at discount stores like Wal-mart and Target, and the rabbits love them.

Lol, rabbit testicles are fairly large for the size of the rabbit. Most people are surprised by them the first time they realize what they are :biggrin2:

Oh, and I really love the term bunnylettes- that is too cute :inlove:, but if you want to be technical baby rabbits are called kits!

Good luck and keep us updated!! I am sorry to here you were misinformed on their sexes- unfortunately it happens way too often.

Aww that stinks that the little guys sex got mixed up. Unfortunately, it happens way more than it should.

I have seen spay/aborts done up to delivery. Often times if the mother has a stuck kit that's what they will have to do if they can't get it out another way. I would advise to get it done as early as possible because the smaller the embryos, the easier it will be on mom.

Good luck and keep us informed! And you are so lucky to have a rabbit vet just down the road!

--Dawn

So Lumi has a vet check on Wednesday but wont be able to get her spay done till Sept 5th because the vets are on vacation! >.< Horrible timing doctors!

Clarzoo she's already getting to the "leave me alone" faze, a drastic change from her "i wuv you" attitude she had not so long ago. I'm going to have to buy something to seperate the 2 so CL here I come! I do plan on building a humongous NIC cage but that has to wait for a couple paychecks.

Well as you can tell, I've been online and Lumi never made it to her check up. My ride got here 20 minutes before the vet closed >.< Hopefully I could take her on Saturday. BAH!!! This is why I'm sucking up my fear and going to driving school.

I've seen spays done up until the day before delivery.

Usually, rabbits take it all in stride. The earlier the spay is performed, the safer and better it is for the rabbit. This is because she is losing less fluid, and body mass, and it's easier for her to recooperate.

The recoperation from the surgery depends on how progressed the pregnancy was. The later in the pregnancy, the more recovery time. A few day's worth of painkillers could be perscribed, but oftentimes with rabbit spays, the vet will give them certain anaglesias that help with the pain twelve hours after the surgery is over, letting them sort of slide into getting used to the new "lighter" feeling. The general painkiller of choice is Metacam, but there are others available. Three-four days of the painkillers should suffice. They usually take the painkillers pretty easily, as they're usually pretty weary after the spay and don't feel like fighting.

I'd keep some Pedialyte on hand and feed it to her regularly after the surgery. Keep her isolated, don't let her run around or be hyper.

Well Lumi got spayed today. The doctor called and said she's doing fine. Was just waking back up when she called me. Can't wait for her to come home tomorrow. I miss her already. She weighed in at 4.85 lbs.

My estimate was about $235. We'll see how much it actually came to tomorrow.

Nilla has his neutering appointment next Wednesday :) Poor guy. he seems so lonely without Lumi around.

Yeah, but it's great that you are getting them taken care of. Both will be a bit healthier, and of course the obvious reasons!

When Bo came home from his neuter, he was still groggy and it was that same day. He literally slept on me the rest of the day. He stretched out as far as he could while I held him. It was so sweet, I'll never forget it. He didn't want to be anyplace but with Mommy! :biggrin2:

She's doing good :) She got prescribed metacam for the pain. Desolvable stitches. I have her in her cage with a blanket over it so the other animals leave her alone. She's just resting nicely. I just bought a couple yards of fleece the other day and she's breaking it in nicely.

Back