EMERGANCY!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
We were clipping Valuran's claws today and allwas going well, until he kicked when I was clipping his back claw. Itbegan to bleed, not profusely, but enough.

I applied a cold, wet paper towel to stop the flow of blood. Sofar, it has stopped bleeding but you can still see where it'sred.

What else can I do??? I'm really freaking out, my hands are shaking and everything.

I feel horrible!!! I've been clipping claws for over seven years nowwith never a problem. Only the past six months or so on rabbits, butI've been doing my cat's for that long and felt I had experience.

I've done that a number of times and feltterrible about it :( It will be fine -- you don'tneed to do anything more. Just check it daily to be certainit's healing fine.

Pam

If the blood is coming from the nail, you can use baby powder to slowdown the bleeding. Some people use a styptic powder, usually purchasedin pet stores for such occasions.

I know you feel horrible, Stephanie. Try not to beat yourself up. The blood flow often times seems worse than what it is.

-Carolyn

I've never tried this,but some people say that spider webs put on the wound stop the bleeding.

Pam

Carolyn is right about the bleeding looking worse than it really is --I've never heard of a rabbit bleeding to death from a cut toenail(unless the rabbit has hemophilia).

How wierd is that? Exactly the same thinghappened to me this morning when I was doing Perry's back claws. Hisbled a bit, and he was really huffed with me, but all is OK now. I havebegged his forgiveness and told him how sorry I was, and he has let mepet him, so I think we are OK ;).

Pam, that is very interesting about a spider web, though knowing my twothey would probably eatit:p- Jan

Ok, thanks guys. I was really freaking out (obviously).

He looks a bit miffed with us right now, can't say as I blame him. lol

I'm sure Valuran will forgive his Mom right away. If all else fails, try treats! :p

Raspberry

:(I did that with Rexi once. It upsetme so bad so I know how you feel. The good news is....she forgave mepretty quickly....right after I got the raisins out. LOL

Lanna

When I do manicures, I have the pet stypticpowder, Q-tips, and little shot class of water at hand. Ifsomebunny starts to bleed, I dip the Q-Tip in the water, then in thepowder and touch it to the end of the bleeding nail. One ortwo applications of same usually does the trick. The powderis available in most pet stores and online rabbit supplyhouses. In comes in little vials about the size of the 35 mmfilm canister and is most frequently yellow in color .Careful, it can stain clothes permanently.

Other substances I've read of being used to staunch the bleedingincude: flour, baking powder and talcum powder. Thestyptic powder tends to work very quickly, however and I prefer that tothe others. I never found styptic "pencils" to be of muchvalue in this application.

Buck

Thank you Buck. Next time, I will have thesethings on hand. We did go to the pet store, but didn't really seeanything for this sort of thing. Of course, you all know how it can beat a pet store sometimes.

He's fine now. No bleeding or any long term effects that I can see. Igave him some raisins, although he keeps on staring at me so I suspecthe's still a bit miffed.

Oh dear, I hate when that happens.

I haven't done it on a rabbit, but, being a dog groomer, I have cut thequick a time or two. It looks so aweful but it doesn't really hurt themas much as you might think.

I use a powder called "KwikStop", it stops the bleeding instantly, I suggest it to everyone. Most groomers use it.

If you wanna know whats horrible, Peppy was walking along the cementand then I picked him up, and when I put him back down I saw bloodtrailing from him and there was blood all over me! I lookedat him and his whole dewclaw broke right out of his skin. So..now hedoesn't have one anymore. Well, theres a tiny bump where I think itsprobably growing back, but..ick...Peppy was not happy with me for likea week. I felt so so bad!! I haven't taken him outside on the cementsince.

Latest posts

Back