Ebony is Unwell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning when I came downstairs after getting up,I couldn't see Ebony in the open part of her hutch (I can get a good view through the lounge window). When I still couldn't see her about 10 mins later, I checked if my Dad had seen her earlier. He had, but I went out to check her anyway. She was huddled in a backcorner on the lower level of her hutch. When I made moves to catch her, she hoppede away then flopped out. Not normal bunny behaviour on a cold day. She felt a little cool andher behaviour worried me. She haddrunk little waterand barely touched her food.I got her into the kitchen and-cutting out some minor details-up to the vets by 11;30am.

Hegave her a thorough checkover with his hands, took her temp, weighed her ect. A specific cause couldn't be identified but he gave her someinjections that will hopefully get her eating again.Warm sub-q fluids to warm her up, something to get her stomach moving, a broad spectrum anti-biotic and some pain releif.

Back at home, we now have a syringe feeding kit and some nutriton mix to put with water.I hope she does ingest some of it-she won't take passively to being syringe fed. She has livened up (she's indoors) but is still not eating so I'm still anxious :nerves1.

Jo x

wat you have done so far seems fine... keep at it. dont let her/him get to hot.
hope every thing goes well.:biggrin2:

Try tempting her with veggies I find green veg works best like Kale or a herb like coriander or basil. even some carrot. whatever her fave is. They usually start eating that before they will eat their pelets again.

Hope she feels better soon :)

Gas maybe? Was she pressing her tummy to the ground when she flopped?

:yeahthat:
Try giving baby gas meds (simethicone) and gentle belly rubs. That's usually what I try first. Sometimes that's all they need.

What did the vet say about how her belly feels? Does she have solids in her intestines or stomach? What about gas? Did he take an xray?

It can also help to give her something warm to snuggle with. A Snuggle Safe is perfect but you can easily make a rice sock for her if you don't have one. Dry rice + clean sock, tie it shut, heat it in the microwave and give it too her.

Keep us updated!

A little update: First I probably should have mentioned that when the vet took her temp, she was a little cold. Having her inour Kitchen with a fan blowing warm air in her direction didn't warm her up, so we've moved her to the dining room, next to a radiator. She is in a large box with a pillow in the bottom for comfort. I'll recheck what the vet gave us as meds-there may be some anti-gas meds in the selection. She isn't convulsing constantlyin pain, more flopping and stretchingon and off, but sitting hunched otherwise. The vet said very little about what he could feel in her stomach but the importance of getting her eating again was made clear.

She's still ignoring her usual food and even ignored a carrot offered.

The syringe feeding earlier was succsessful-big kudos to my Dad for that. He managed to get a secure grip on her with one hand and arm and manouvre the syringe into the correct place with the other. Ebony does not like being lifted up or cuddled.

Thankyou for all the well wishes for Ebony and the medical advice. I feel nervous and a bit useless at the moment.

Jo xx

Even if the vet didn't give you anti-gas medication (infant liquid simethicone drops )

you can go to the drugstore and get it your self........ if she has gas this will help her a lot and maybe even resolve the problems.
I meant to quote Naturestee response. She is also correct about the heat and gentle belly massages.

Fluids are more important than getting the food in so also get some pedialyte and syringe her as much as you can get her to take.
several of my rabbits love pedialyte (electrolyte drink for infants ) and it is often easier to get them to drink than to eat . you want there to be liquid going in as just giving her CC without fluids.

you need to take an active approach to this problem and read the artices on both gas and stasis..it sometimes take some work and time to get the bunny out of it.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

Let us know how she is....

The short version of my update is that after a tense time late yesterday evening, Ebony seems to be doing well now :bunnybutt:

I investigated the items the vet had given us. There were also anti-gas meds to get the stomach working and an isotonic drink mix (salts and minerals?). Later in the evening we (me and my immediate family)did think we were going to lose her. She was stretched out, mostly unmoving and her breathing was so shallow. At 9:30 meds were administered and we hoped for the best. Shortly after that,Ebony also seemed keen on the drink mix, she must have been deyhydarated. Weencouragedher to drink asher as much as she wanted of that, figuring that if her fluid levels were correct, she was more likely to be receptive to food.

Ebony was fed a few times overnight. I watched what was meant to be the 4:15am 'feed' but all she wanted was to dosit on my Dad's lap on her pillow, and be stroked by him. She'd built up enough strength to very deliberately avoid the meds and food syringes but she did have a little of each.

My Dad got up again in advance of the early morning feed time. I slept right through though. My bro woke me after 10am. AsI headed into the lounge I heard a familiar sound-the noise of rabbit food being pushed around a heavy ceramic bowl. The sight of Ebony tucking into her regular food mixmade mevery happy!

There's a morning check up appointment for Ebony at the vets tomorrow, and hopefully the vet can confirm all is very nearly as it should be for my girl.

Thankyou again for all advice and get well wishes :hearts.

Jo xx

For all the eating and good fluid intake today, there was a lack of poop in Ebony's box earlier this evening. If there isn't any when I check on her shortly, she be given some of the syrup for her stomach to get things moving again. I'm hoping though that the hay she munched earlier will have naturally helped :)

Jo xx

if this was a bout of stasis it can take days (sometimes longer)to completely recover so I would follow the vet's instructions on meds and fluids until she goes back tomorrow.

Yes we will do.

I've read stasis can strike suddenly but we still don't really know what caused it. When I saw her to fuss and feed her on Friday evening, she was fine, normally lively and curious. About 10 days ago we introduced her to carrots and she was very keen on them. Her pooping was normal until this episode this weekend. The best guessmy family and I havemade is that she got too cold in her hutch, so she'll be indoors until temperaturespick up.

Jo x

The vet told me this morning thatEbony's stomach felt normal. The lack of poops may be because she's eaten the first batch, but a second should appear at some point. Am continuing on with our various bunny meds and food/drinksachets.

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back