Eating newspaper and magazines

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
My two guys, Bugs and Peter, love to read, er chew the morning paper. They just eat the edges, but I wonder why they're so fascinated with it?

They also like the glossy covers and bindings of thick magazines, and telephone books.

They have ample Timothy and Brome hay available, 24/7. Why do they go for the paper? Is it the smell, the taste, texture?

I can't imagine it's healthy for them!

Gordon

Mine do too. They love to dig it, tear it up,throw it about, and generally cause great chaos and mess.

Maybe it's the sound? Or the taste? I don't really know. But your bunsare definitely like mine and like LOADS of others too. Infact, giving a bun the yellow pages can give them hours of fun and pleasure. Yes, they shouldn't eat too much, but a bit won't hurt them.

I took the yellow pages away from them yesterday because I felt like they were paying too much attention to it instead of their hay. They do seem to love that ripping sound of tearing the paper(especially when I'm trying to sleep, lol).

Hi Gordon,

That is a natural behavior for them...it simulates digging as domestics did do in the wild. I would not allow them to have the glossy pages as that contains a different type of ink. Most of the ink on newsprint type paper is soy based and harmless. You could also find them something else to occupy them.

I do have a personal thought on this topic. Several years ago, we had a small house down at the beach. It was about a 3 hour drive each way...but our rabbits went with us. Yoda would dig in his carrier the entire drive. I would get so annoyed at him. We lost Yoda last year after a long and brave battle against E Cuniculi. I would give anything I have in this world to be able to hear that special young man dig in his carrier again. I never realized how special that sound was. As they say, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone". Please enjoy that happy rabbit sound....I miss Yoda's.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Hi Gordon,

I would give anything I have in this world to be able to hear that special young man dig in his carrier again.

Randy

Thanks, Randy.

Peter and Bugs are my first two rabbits, and I spoil them horribly.

I'm trying my best to do everything right for them.

Gordon

Was going to say the same thing as Randy. Don't let them have the glossy pages to snack on, but the ink on the newspapers and yellow pages is fine if they have a nibble or two... or three.

My guys are MAJOR diggers and make a complete mess with the yellow pages. I don't have the heart to take it away from them completely - they seem to have so much fun lol, but they also seem to like to rip at it at about 3am UNDER our bed... I've actually taken it away a couple times.. but always give it back.

:D

Nadia

Latest posts

Back