Earmites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~BunBuns~

Reaction score
Bunbuns for the past 2-3 weeks has been grooming his ears and scartching them ALOT. Im guessing he has earmites.. is there anything i can put on his ears to get rid of them? Thank you.

-april and bunbuns~

I just moved this into the Infirmary.

He's going in to get neutered soon right? Probably best thing to do is for the vet to exam his ears and go from there.

Hopefully others will help with even more suggestions :).

Hi April,

Generally, the standard and proper treatment is three rounds of ivermectin. While something like baby oil or mineral oil will kill the adults, it doesn't kill the eggs so you are in what we used to call in computer terms an "infinite loop" with no end. The first dose will kill the adults, the second get the ones that have hatched since the first treatment and the last is a mop up. I have used a variation of ivermectin called Acarexx which only requires a single dosing. Ear mites should be treated aggressively since it can lead to a secondary bacterial infections from the bites and that walks you into another problem. Sometimes you can actually see the mites but it is generally better to have a vet swab the ear and take a peek under a microscope. I would only use ivermectin under the advice of a vet since it can be toxic in improper doses. And by having a vet check, you should find out exactly what it is.....and it doesn't necessarily have to be mites.

Randy

Back