Ear Wax? Eat infection? Is this serious?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravishing

Reaction score
Hello all =)

I have yet another question for you!

Bunny info:
- Penny
- Holland lop
- 4 to 5 months

I always pet penny behind the ears and lift them up a rub them. Today when I was lifting her ears I kept hearing sounds. It sounds like a squishy sound? It's only in one ear. She doesn't run away from me or give me any indication she's in pain. My guess is that she has built up ear wax. Let me know what you think :)

Again, she is perfectly healthy, binking, sniffing, kissing, eating, pooping, and peeing but one of her ears has a squishy sound when I raise it up.

Whether or not it is wax... how do you clean bunny ears @ home? Are there special q-tips? Do you trance them?

dont use q tips, if its an abscess and you pop it it can be really damaging to the ear.

have a look inside the ear and check, more than likely she has an infection. i'd suggest taking her to a vet asap before it gets worse

I too would have a look inside. Sometimes the cartillage can rub around on the bone up there with lops, and sometimes bunnies make happy tooth grinding noises if you pet them on the ears like that.

My vet specifically said not to try cleaning my mini-lop's ears at home. There's too much risk of causing permanent damage by pushing the wax into, and possible breaking the ear drum. I think it is safer to let the vet or someone with a lot of experience clean ears.

My Roscoe has trouble with wax. I have to take him to the vet so they can flush his ears. On Roscoe, you can look in his ear and see the wax build up. The vet gives me a wash at home to use for his ears and antibotics usually. Only cause he gets ear infections with the wax.

I would have your bunny vet checked.(ears checked)

Hi everyone :)

Thanks for the response!

I took a look inside her ears and I wasn't able to see any wax like at all. In fact I was able to look so far in that I could see the little "tunnel".

I definitely won't be using any q-tips or trying to clean them out myself for that matter.

I'm pretty sure she isn't grinding her teeth but it does sound similar. My sister says it sounds like when someone pulls your baby toe (lol). Maybe it is cartilage rubbing up?

Whenever I make her lop ear stand I'll hear the sound and it's the same every time.

I'm worried :(

Latest posts

Back