Ear or Fur mites or both or what? (WARNING!! PHOTOS are DISTURBING)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were able to purchase Revolution (Selamectin) at a Petsmart in the United States? I've heard instances of people ordering it from Canadian websites but in general Revolution should be something you can only get from your vet.

I realize you may not have much funds for treating your rabbits, but I would give you some 'words of caution' about treating rabbits.

1. fur mites are extremely contagious creatures (Cheyletiella)- to all mammals (including us). Be sure you are treating your environment as well as your pets.

2. both these mites are very sensitive to selemectin and ivermectin- often a single oral or topical or injectable dose will cure a bunny of both forms of mites, though some may need to be retreated, particularly in an epidemic and possibly household contamination problem

3. one of the reasons rabbits have been used extensively for so many years by the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry is they have uniquely sensitive skin. In my practice we use as little topical treatment on rabbits as possible- less is always better when dealing with rabbit skin as they can react badly to just about anything. I would be very cautious about applying anything to a rabbit's skin and particularly their ears (even more sensitive than the rest of the skin)... 'natural' products can be extremely irritating (essential oils are irritating to cats as well and should not be used in them, either, and they are far less sensitive than are rabbits). I would always avoid anything oily in a rabbit as well. I have no idea how irritating Listerine is, but would strongly recommend against it as well. Your rabbit there has extremely inflamed skin and it will take her weeks for that to calm down and return to normal. I suggest you stop applying topicals to her before permanent damage is done.

4. There is no proof that Grapefruit seed extract or vinegar or helpful to rabbits (and I would worried about the opposite)... perhaps vinegar would an OK product to clean a water sipper tube out with, but as for putting it in the drinking water, I suspect it is unnecessary. Rabbit water is best if just clean and fresh- the fresher the better and therefore more likely to be drunk (rabbits need a LOT of water in their diets, unless being given lots of fresh, leafy greens or grass).

5. Diatomaceous Earth, though apparently non-toxic on skin, is extremely dangerous if inhaled, so if you feel the need to apply this to a rabbit, try very hard not to create a cloud of dust. Once in the lungs, this stuff is there to stay and it can cause irreparable damage to sensitive lung tissues (and rabbits have very sensitive lungs as well). I would personally avoid this product (as I do most topical products on rabbits).

Rabbits do a lot of grooming, so if a lot of DE is applied, they will ingest a lot of DE... which is non-toxic to the GI tract in tiny amounts, but is a powerful desiccant (that is how it kills invertebrates)... not something any of us should be ingesting in any significant quantities. So, again, if you feel you need to use this product, use it extremely sparingly.

These are only words of caution, but you might think about them and maybe follow some of the other suggestions above looking for an alternate treatment of your rabbits infestation.

Latest posts

Back