Ear Mites??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
I have just recently noticed scabs and bumps on my rabbits' ears. So, I put a couple drops ofolive oil in their ears. (Which they hated, they shook their heads so much I thought their ears would fall off!)

What I'm wondering is if they do indeed have ear mites and if there is anything else I can do to prevent this.

Lissa

P.S. A neighbor gave me some hay (well he saidsome there was really3 bales :shock:!!!)left over from their rabbit which I think he got from a farm as it doesn't look like pure Timothy Hay. Could that be cause of the mites?

Hi BunnyLover,

Earmites is what it sounds like with such a description.

There are a couple of ways to treat it. Ivermectin 1.87% is a horseworming paste that works very well with given a pea-sized dollop on thefore paw. (You might check with your fet for the appropriate dosage forthe weight of your rabbit.) The rabbit will lick it off and within 3treatments, it eliminates ear and fur mites, worms and fleas. A tube ofit can cost anywhere from $8-$20 in the U.S.A. You can find it in afeed store, pet supply store, or an equestrian store.

Other folks that like to go the organic route will treat with mineraloil. A drop in each ear. The mites pores get clogged and it sufficatesthem.

VetRx made for Rabbits has also been effective for me and Pamnock has had good luck with it as well in treating for ear mites.

My veterinarian gave me some Earidimite and it was only $5 and workedexcellent. I didn't have to get a perscription for it, they sold itright to me at my animal hospital.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

P.S. Watch out for mold in the bails.

"Most rabbits have fur mites to some degree but never show signs." -Pamnock

Ivomec injections are the most common treatmentfor ear/fur mites or you can usethe ear mite medication asCarolyn recommends because it contains insecticides.

The oil is a messy pain.

Rabbit ear/fur mites do not live long on dry surfaces or in hay/bedding.

Pam

Just to qualify...

I don't recommend the Earidimite over Ivermectin, I was just noting some of the things I've found worked.

The mineral oil is definitely messy for poor bun! Tucker repeatedly cleaned himself for days to get his fur back to normal.

:)

-Carolyn

Ok I'm going to try to get VetRx (or Ivermectin ifI can't find VetRx) at my feed store. Should I consult my vet first orshould I go ahead and get it? Also what are the doses for VetRx? Isthere anything else I should watch out for?

Thank you so much!

Lissa

Hi BunnyLover,

Many just give a small pea-sized dollop of the Ivermectin 1.87% on therabbit's fore paws without consulting a vet and haven't had a problem.You could give 3 doses and it should clear up.

My veterinarian didn't like the idea of me giving my rabbit theIvermectin because of his size and it's strength, but BuckJones andPamnock have used it and not had incident. I certainly trust myrabbit's life in their hands.

If you go with the VetRx, the directions are on the box as to dosages.

The only other thing you want to do is thoroughly clean his hutch,toys, bed, etc. so that you can get any that are hanging around.

-Carolyn

Only thing I would add, if using the 1.87%Ivermectin horse worming paste, is to space the three treatments 10days apart, thereby eradicating any mites that may have hatched fromeggs between treatments.

Buck

I always have to stick my "disclaimer" in. :)

Since any medications can cause an adverse reaction, I recommend consulting with a vet first.

The recommended dosage for Ivomec liquid is 1/10 of a cc per 5 lbs. ofbody weight. It is far easier to overdose with the paste,however we've used it extensively without incident.

Pam

I'm not sure I will be able to use the Ivomecbecause my rabbits weigh less than 5lbs. If I do end up using the pasteI will be sure not to overdose.

I have been meaning tocompletely scrubtheir cages,so now I will have more incentive to do so. ThoughI must sayit isn't something I'm looking forward to doing.

Lissa

my mom has a rat, it was originally my littlebrothers. anyways, it has little scabs all over it. i did reading and itold her its eathier and allergy or mites. im really starting to thinkthat it is mites. im going to tell her to get some mineraloil so they we can put it on the rat.how long does it take for themites to suffocate?

phx_punk_girl wrote:
my mom has a rat, it was originally my little brothers.anyways, it has little scabs all over it. i did reading and i told herits eathier and allergy or mites. im really starting to think that itis mites. im going to tell her to get some mineral oil sothey we can put it on the rat.how long does it take for the mites tosuffocate?

Mineral oil is commonly applied inside the *ears* not over thebody. (Terrible mess) I would search the web ortake the rat to the vet to find out how to properly procede.

Pam

Grrrrr!! I haven't been able to get to a feedstore, so I still haven't gotten the stuff yet. If I keep using the oilwill it help to get rid of the mites, or am I just wasting my time?

I'm really trying to helpget them better, but they don't seem to happy right now. Which is really discouraging me.

Lissa

Latest posts

Back