Ear Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
At least one of my new Flemish rescues have ear mites. I haven't checked the Library yet, this is a first for me.

The vet might be able to see them on Sunday, if not then next week.

They're deep in the ear and look pretty bad. :sigh:

sas :expressionless

I use ivermectin from the feed store - I get it in an apple flavor and give some of it to them. Easy to get rid of.

Hmm... I know of a member whose bunny was prescribed Benadryl for a skin allergy thing--that might be an option to give them some relief. I don't really know though. Mineral oil can soften up any visible crusts as well if you think that will help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZgnAE7LAY[/ame]

Video shows vet dealing with massive ear mite infestation. Includes medication and treatment.

Our vet uses and suggest ivermectin and for temp. cleaning we were told to use a tiny bit of Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton ball followed by warm water wash on a cotton ball (suggested by our local shelter's animal control when we got in two Eng. Angoras with horrible ears and of course our vet was closed)

Oooh I'm not sure hydrogen peroxide would be good. That would hurt a lot. Did it work ok with your bunnies?

Yeah it cleared up the worst Ear Canker (sp) and mites I have ever seen! It really did help and the only thing I noticed was the rabbit not liking when I was messing with their ears when I was trying to clean all the gross out. It cleared the ones up in about 3 days and then the worse one in a week and a half. We put in on a Q tip at first to "test it" and then on a cotton ball when the rabbit didn't react to it at all! I will see if I still have pictures of the rabbit that had the problems...

Here is a link and I am not sure if you can see it in the picture but in the first rabbit picture, the one with dark around the ears and eyes, the black nasty was just canker on her ears. The Boy's was at bad but it did clear them both up quick. The Animal control told us that as they were filing a report and they called back to the shelter vet and they said that was the quickest way to make them comfortable. I have only used that treatment in a quick fix and the vet wasn't open as it was a sunday and we spend 3 hrs with animal control filing a report.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13733007

Ohh poor bunnies! I'm so glad you were able to help them out. Good to know that the hydrogen peroxide didn't hurt them.

Pipp: Sorry I didn't reply sooner to this. My rabbits had ear mites and they both were treated with Ivermectin, an injection every two weeks for the ear mites. My vet suggested that I clean my rabbits ears with water and kleenex. I have been using a cotton swab and very carefully clean the inside of their ears. I always measure to see how far down I can go before I hit the ear drum and I never have hit the ear drum. Be careful when you clean the inside of the ears you don't hit the ear drum otherwise as my vet says will be more problems.

Now my rabbits are almost ear mite free, they still have a tiny bit left but their immune systems are taking care of the ear mites. Also let your rabbit exercise, it does help the immune system have a fighting chance at getting rid of the ear mites. The immune system can only get rid of ear mites when the ear mites are in the very early stages.

Ivermectin took care of the ear mites in my rabbits with only two injections each.

Oh I would separate your flemish from the other rabbits so that they don't get ear mites as well. But if your flemmie is bonded make sure he/she can see the other rabbits and talk to them so that the bond can stay between them. My two rabbits are still bonded even after being separated because I kept them within talking range and seeing range when they had ear mites. Now they are in their rabbit area playing together and sitting next to each other. I had them out of their cages all night last night because they were so good at their check up yesterday. That is how I found out that their ear mites are almost totally gone, they only have a little bit(tiny bit)!

Hope that your flemmie gets better and gets rid of those ear mites!

I am very concerned about some of things that are posted that vets suggested.They should know better.The thing in dealing with ears is that you should never use water only in the ears. There are specific ear meds that contain drying agents that will prevent excessive moisture from remaining in the ears. Excessive fluids in the ears will often result in bacterial growth....an infection. I use two products for ear issues....both made by a company called Virbac. Epi-Otic is great for general cleaning. Cerulytic is good for tougher jobs. Both do contain drying agents.

Randy

When I cleaned my rabbits ears with cotton swab and water, I would wet the cotton swab first and clean their ears with the cotton swab. They always shake their head when I get the cotton swab in the ear. I guess they want to make sure that there isn't any water in their ears!

I think it would be good to mix the water with a bit of rubbing alcohol so that it dries quickly. That's what Randy is talking about when he says that anything you use in the ear should have a drying agent.

Latest posts

Back