Ear Mite Treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
I don't think anyone will remember my old Millypost so I will briefly explain.

When I first got him at six weeks he had severe hair loss, over the following weeks all his fur re grow and was assumed his fur loss was due to previous bad nutrition.

He is now 11 weeks old and in the last week he has started to lose fur around his neck, ears back and a small amount on his face. I was'nt sure if it was possible to have a natural shed so soon or not.

Today he has been shaking his head and scratching his ears a lot. Im assuming he has ear mites and this is what has caused the fur loss.

Can you treat ear mites with an over the counter treatment or is it best to get if from the vets?

Yes, it does sound like ear mites. You can treat it with Ivermectin over-the-counter, but I personally prefer to have the vet treat this. Especially with a baby who wasn't in good shape just a few weeks ago. It's easy to screw up the dosage when you're doing it yourself. :)

Just come back from the vets and Milly does'nt have ear mites.

The vet does'nt even think he has mites at all, since I've already treated him with ivermectin at the weekend. He thinks its possible that he has an allergic reaction maybe to the soap powder I wash his fleece in. He gave him ivermectin just to be on the safe side and I have to take him back if any more falls out.

He also got his VHD jab and is booked in fo his myxi in 2 weeks time.

I was quite impressed with these vets they answered a lot of questions. I will be taking Milly and all my Guinea Pigs there from now on.:)

Is there any known side effects from either of the jabs that should be looking out for?

Latest posts

Back