Ear infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randi

Reaction score
Last night was Noelle's first trip to the vet, and the vet found that she has an ear infection. The vet gave me drops that I am supposed to squirt liberally in to her ear for seven days, and then we go back to the vet on the seventh day to check it out again. From what I understand, lops are prone to ear infections since their ears are always covered and don't get good air flow, and bacteria can build up. I wanted to ask if there is anything I can do to prevent further ear infections.

I've raised lops for over 20 years and never had one with an ear infection. Interestingly, the only ear infection my dog has ever gotten has been in his erect ear (not the lopped one).

Personally, I think other factors are far more likely to cause ear infections than lopped ears. Also, I've never seen any reference to lopped ears being a factor lending to ear infections in any professional publications.

Hi,

If you do a search online about lops being prone to ear infections you will find a lot of information. Clearly I'm not referencing a "professional publication" but there are many others who have difficulties as well. Since the ear canals are always covered it actually makes a lot of sense. :)

My original question was asking if there is anything I could do to prevent additional infections, but I will just talk to my vet when I go back... thanks for all the replies. :)

I agree with Pam and Angieluv. I also am concerned that your vet is not treating the ear infection aggressively enough. Ear infections usually require oral or injected antibiotics.

Prevention would depend on the cause of the ear infection. If the cause was ear mites, occasional ear mite drops would be helpful. If it was a middle ear infection, prevention can be more difficult because the infection is often secondary to a respiratory issue. Hydrogen peroxide can be dripped into the ear to help prevent external ear infections. I would consult with the vet for tips on preventing another ear infection, although some rabbits are prone to chronic infections.

Latest posts

Back