Ear/Fur mites resistant to Ivermectin??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangelhotots

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Okay, I bought a young doethe first ofseptember. She had ear mites really bad and bald patches behind her ears(probably fur mites). I immediatly gave her a small amount(pea sized) of the Ivermectin paste. Treated her again 12 days later and then again 12 days after that. She did Great with it, grew her hair back and no crust in her ears.

Well, about two weeks ago, I noticed her scratching her nose. Looked closely and it's scabby with some bald patches. NO!!!! Ugh. So I didn't really know what to do but I put some of the Ivermectin paste actually on the affected area(her nose). Now the scabs have fallen off but there is still hair loss that looks like it's getting larger in size-she still scratches. Is there a possiblity that these mites are resistant? Any other treatments for mites?? Ichecked her vent area-it's not syphillis. We don't have any vet savvy vets here-they would probably do a skin scrape for mange-ugh.:?

401976789_CtgRP-M.jpg

401976801_HNFvW-S.jpg

401976830_gvZCA-S.jpg

ETA: This is what she looked like before treatment-a big difference!

401985855_98vFt-S.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey,

It doesn't take a rabbit savvy vet to do a skin scraping and take a peek under a scope.This is the same no matter the species. My only concern with a non-rabbit savvy vet is restraining the rabbit properly....so if the doctor will allow you to do that, any vet should be able to do the scraping. There are different kinds of mites....and it might not even be mites. Better to be sure and treat properly. I have found Ivermectin to be effective when used properly. But I always administer sub-q. If you do go to a vet, Revolution is by far the most effective at controlling a large number of external and internal parasites. I highly suggest getting the scraping since if it is mites, you already know they do like to go rabbit hopping.

And just because she is not displaying lesions in the genital/anal area does not mean she doesn't have syphilis....and I have been hearing a lot about that recently. The best treatment for syphilis is Pen G (in the correct combo of Procaine and Benzathine).

Randy

As usual, Randy gave some really great advice. I always use Revolution for mites/fleas because its so safe and very effective. I also agree re: syphillis. Ive been hearing of a lot of buns who are having the syptoms around the nose/mouth but not the genital area.

Id print out some info from our library and take it to your vet- If it were my bun Id go with both Revolution and PenG to treat for either case.

Thanks Randy and Haley, I'll be going to the vet Monday afternoon. I'll also pick up some Revolution for the other buns. They only weigh about 2-3 pounds, the kitten/cat Revolution will be fine? I saw somewhere that a lady was trying to dose the amount herself-guess I should consult a vet about this too.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back