Drinking Urine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Has anyone ever caught your bunny drinking(or later discovered that s/he had drank) his/her own urine?

My one bun, Zoe, has prettty good litter box habits. But every now and again, she'll urinate on her solid cage floor. If she pays any attention to the urine, she often drinks it. (Blech!) Of course, I stop her if I catch her; but there has been a number of times when I didn't catch her and later found a nearly-dried puddle. :shock:

I once mentioned this behavior to Zoe's vet; he did not believe that her ingestion/ digestion of urine relates to her gut-flora issues, especially since this behavior of hers is random (rather than daily).

Jenk

aurora369 wrote:
I've seen quite a few rabbits do that. Gross, but normal reaction for them. I have no idead why they do it, but I've seen many do it.

--Dawn

Thank you for the odd form of reassurance, Dawn. ;)

Onepart of me feels relieved to know that; the other part is still weirded out by it.:?

Yeah, I'm a bit weirded out by it as well. But I've seen multiple bunnies do it, so I don't think it's a sign of illness or anything, just something weird that bunnies do.

--Dawn

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
My first bun would pee out of his litterbox and lick it up, I never understood it:craziness.
That's usually what happens with Zoe, although, last night, she peed down the side of a pillow and then lapped up some of the urine that hit the floor. :headsmack

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
My first bun would pee out of his litterbox and lick it up, I never understood it:craziness.
That's usually what happens with Zoe, although, last night, she peed down the side of a pillow and then lapped up some of the urine that hit the floor. :headsmack
Silly bunny. Maybe they just think it's nom nom nom, lol.:rofl:

Mine does it sometimes. He doesn't really drink,only licks a bit. It has puzzled me also, but since a lot of members confirm their buns acting like this occasionally, I guess it's normal.

Marietta

The day that you posted this question, I saw Mylo licking his own urine! He doesn't have litter box skills down quite yet, and I wipe up any pee whenever I see it, but I saw him licking some. I was hoping it was water since he splashes in his bowl a lot, but when I wiped up that puddle, it was yellow :( I'm glad to know at least that it doesn't appear to be a sign of poor health or anything. I guess they're just trying to help us clean up? And that's the only time I've seen him do it so far...

Ewww! That's gross! Unfortunately, I can see why they would lick their urine. :?Just as Dawn says, it's a normal reaction. I can't remember if I've ever seen my bunnies doing that (I think I have, just can't remember) but blech that IS disgusting! :(

Emily

Latest posts

Back