Double Dwarf Kits or Peanuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EgyHotot

Reaction score
I recently started breeding Dwarf Hotots.Currently my doe is raising her second litter. I have heard about peanuts and know it is unlikely that they survive. Now I am trying to figure out exactly what causes them to die.

Since genetics is an intrest of mine I know that a peanut is a rabbit that has received a recessive dwarfing gene from each parent. They usually have protruding foreheads, small ears that are set far back,and, often but not always,emaciated-looking hips. I have done a lot of reasearch on them, through the internet and contact with other breeders and have come up with very little. I discovered several theories as to why they die, but none of the people who presented these theories gave any substancial support to back them up.

Here are the theories(they are listed from the most commonly appearing to the least commonly apearing):

1)The peanuts are like pre-mature babies and have under-develouped digestive systems and organs. They therefor cannot digest food and maintain body function for very long.

2)The peanuts have some complication or problem with there digestive tract (more specifically in the gut where bacteria live) and are incapable of digesting their mother's milk.

3)The peanuts are incapable of ingesting(swallowing) and therefor cannot nurse and get milk.

4)The peanuts are so small all the other kits push them away and they can't nurse or their hind legs are two weak to allow them to get to them other to nurse.

5)The peanuts are too small to be able to nurse (their mouths are to small to get around the nipple)

I have yet to find any evidence to back any of these theories. I would very much appreciate any further information that any one knows. I would also be intereseted in links to websites. Thanks to everyone who helps!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would not believe how many hours I have spent online looking for an article exactly like that. Thanks soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you run across any more information I would greatly appreciate it. And thanks again!

Latest posts

Back