Dopey has diarrheas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merf

Reaction score
My baby has diarrhea, this is his first time having it and I am a first time rabbit owner. I don't know how worried should I be, I'm trying to read up on books on what it could be or how serious it is... but it could be numerous things. The vet is closed today, I'm planning on calling the first thing tomorrow morning to make an appointment. But should I be worried enough to take him to an emergency vet?

Dopey is an American lop, almost 6 months old. He eats about 1/2 a cup of Oxbow, timothy hay based pellets, a day. Everynight he eats 1 cup of veggies, and a tablespoon of fruit. He also eats timothy hay, orchard and bermuda grass everyday. I don't give him any other treats. He's not yet nuetered, but will be within the next month.

How worried :? should I be? Please advise.

Actually, I don't really know if it's diarrhea. It looks like melted ice cream.. so is that diarrhea? But I did notice for about 2 hours I could hear his tummy grumbeling, it has since stopped. He is having a problem sleeping though, seems to be very restless. He is now pooping balls again, but they seem to be very soft and wet still. Should I still be concerned enough to take him to the vet? Or am I over reacting?

that would be diarrhea

could you go to the drugstore and get liquid infant gas mediciation
the main ingredient is simethicone. (don't get it with anything else in it)

try giving him about 1 cc of that
it sounds like he has gas also

Did you feed him anything different at all before this started ?

More of a fruit or more veggies ? or a veggie that he never had before ?

should have also told you to get some unflavored pedialyteto rehydrate her.

There is a way to make oral electrolyte replacement but to buy it is easier

I didn't feed Dopey anything than his normal diet last night 1 cup of veggies (all organic = broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrots, and celery). 1 tablespoon of green apples. *But he did have a little more romain lettuce than normal.

I have taken away his pellets and I am feeding him only timothy hay right now.

I went out and bought the bene-bac... should I give it to him now or hold off?

I could not find the probiotic anywhere (went to petsmart, petco, pet express).

I will go out and buy pedialtye right now.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

bene-bac is a probiotic so that's fine to give
the pedialyte is also OK to syringw to him
this is probably diet related

hold off on the simethicone for now
how are his poops?

I've been running around all afternoon trying to find everything, so I haven't seen him poop yet. I'm about to take him out of his cage... so when he runs arpund on the floor I can see him poop in his litter box.

Question... the benebac came in a powder form. It's recommended that I give it to him with his food mixed in... but since I took away all his pellets, how do I give it to him?

This is what I have done in the past. because I have the powdered form too. Mix the prescribed amount with pedialyte and give per syringe. Mine don't seem. to know they are getting it.

Great news... Dopey's poop is back to normal. So now I have a million questions.

Should I still take him to the vet tomorrow?
When can I feed him pellets?
When can I feed him veggies and fruits again?
Should I still give him pedialyte?
I still haven't given him the bene-bac, should I give it still?

I would keep him on hay until tomorrow afternoon and then depending on whether his poops are still normal you can give him some pellets but don't give himas many (just a small amount). Then onWed I would begin all over again to introduce (if his poops are totally normal)veggies one at a time small amounts (see how he is responding). I think that possibly he has had too many veggies and fruits so you want to watch carefully how he responds to everything so this doesn't happen again. The hay is more important than the veggies.
if his poops are totally normal you don't have to give him anything tonight (pedialyte or benebac.)

I don't think there is a need for the vet unless the diarrhea reoccurs :)

:biggrin2: Thank you so much for the advise, I don't know what I would have done without it! Like I said before, I'm a first time (over protective) "bunny mother." :)

i'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

i've also found (with all the above good advice) that rubbing tummies to help with gas and discomfort really well. also, it's a good way to tell if something's up in the stomach area if it's a little firmer than usual. your bun will be happy for rubs and if there is gas pain, happy that it's not so bad anymore.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back