Donnie wheezes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Hi, I've mentioned before how Donnie wheezes while at rest since I've got him. When I took him to the vet, we ended upgiving him Baytril for 7 days, but it didn't clear up (the vet also said his lungs and heart sounded fine).

So, now I have an appointment for Donnie Wed. the 26 with a rabbit savvy vet 30 or so mins away from me.

I don't know if this will help anyone inhis/her assessment of what's wrong with Donnie, but I have a video (you have you turn your sound up a bit, and you can't hear anything until about 13 seconds in).

Thank you,
Kathy

He sounds very much like my Baxter. Baxter makes wheezing/snoring noises all the time. He was checked by one the best vets in the area when he was with SARS (rescue) and he came up clean. They couldn't figure out why he was making those noises.

Baxter seems to be able to control his wheezes. When he's sleeping, getting pets, cuddling or otherwise relaxed, he's the noisiest.

Some rabbits do make noises and can snore.

I would make sure that he is throughly checked out by the vet, but if the vet can't find anything, he may just be a noisy bunny.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
He sounds very much like my Baxter. Baxter makes wheezing/snoring noises all the time. He was checked by one the best vets in the area when he was with SARS (rescue) and he came up clean. They couldn't figure out why he was making those noises.

Baxter seems to be able to control his wheezes. When he's sleeping, getting pets, cuddling or otherwise relaxed, he's the noisiest.

Some rabbits do make noises and can snore.

I would make sure that he is throughly checked out by the vet, but if the vet can't find anything, he may just be a noisy bunny.

--Dawn
Thanks, Dawn! I kind of think it's just him snoring when he sleeps, but I'll post back here after we visit the vet :)

That's exactly what Peanut used to sound like. She never had any respiratory issues, she was just...noisy :dunno:)

m.e. wrote:
That's exactly what Peanut used to sound like. She never had any respiratory issues, she was just...noisy :dunno:)

Thanks! I've been terribly worried about him and didn't know if this was "normal" for a rabbit to make such noises! I really appreciate the responses :)

-Kathy

Wow that is loud! Dr. Cornwall is probably going to panic after months of not being able to help Max relieve his mysterious breathing problems. lol

Its weird to me because it doesnt sound like wheezing in the way Max did. Max's sounded like actual wheezing/respiratory problems...Donnie sounds more like he's almost honking or something.

He doesnt have any discharge or anything, right? Hopefully Dr. Cornwall will confirm that his lungs and everything sound normal.

Keep us posted!

There can be many causes of noisy breathing. In some cases, bacterial, fungal or viral infections are the cause. Some of these can be very hard to treat.

Overweight rabbits may also be noisy breathers. Less commonly, obstructions (tumors) can be the cause of noisy breathing.

Pam

Well, Donnie saw Dr. Cornwall today, and he says that Donnie is healthy!! He said that it's basically like snoring for humans...he even saw the video because I knew Donnie wouldn't fall asleep for the vet to hear, LOL.

I am so relieved and appreciate everyone's input :)

-Kathy

Latest posts

Back