Does anyone know how to teach rabbits tricks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a book called Hop to It by SamanthaHunter... we bought it when we got Henry... and it teaches you how totrain your rabbit voice commands. We gave up after a whiledue to moving house and other things getting in the way, but it's agood book and it's funny to read all about her adventures with 'Stocky'(short for Woodstock).

Whilst it doesn't teach tricks, it's very useful for basic rabbitknowlege and training them to get off the sofa, etc. :)

Ang xx

Our little Princess would walk on her back legsfor a raisin. She'd pull a card out of a deck and would tossitems that we handed to her :)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Ourlittle Princess would walk on her back legs for a raisin.She'd pull a card out of a deck and would toss items that we handed toher :)

Pam
Aww I bet she was cute walking on her back legs :)

Bo will toss things, but usually will put them in our hands.He's been known to play fetch but loses interest prettyquickly. I think bunnies are on FULL SPEED or SLEEP LOL!

Chernish throws all the toys I put in front of him, but we did not teach him that, he knew this game.

That picture is so cute! Your rabbit is adorable!The only bad thing is whenever my rabbits are out, they are too curiousabout there surounding so care about food. I really want to teach themtricks, but I don't know how to get them to pay attention to me!:(lol, oh well!

The Brat (aka Gir) appreciates the comment :p

Well how much 'out' time do they get? If they areonly out for an hour a day then of course they are curious about theirenviroment. The more they sniff and get to know an area (andmark it... either by poops or other less sanitary means) the morerelaxed they get.

Bugs learned his tricks by accident! lol... i wassitting indian style on the Kitchen floor and he'd come up and jump inmy lap and then i snap my fingers to where i would want him to go andhe followed it anywhere!

so what i believe is just Trust and your bunny will wanna do anythingto please you! i find they are similar to dogs when it comes to tricks!lol.. (wel certain kind of dogs! lol) so just trust and love and can'tforget the food! lol goodluck! theres also a book, called Rabbit Tricksfor dummys, i was looking at that online and it was saying to get arabbit to come when you its name, and how to get them to jump up on thecouch or somthin! lol but yeah have fun! lol

bunsforlife wrote:
Gir will get up on his hind legs and dance for a cheerio =)In fact if you say cheerio he will start to do it now.
Bo does that in his cage if I say "goodmorning, Bo! ready for brekfuss?"

I haven't gotten him out to try it.... might have to do that soon!

When training rabbits it's essentially modified dog training.

It involves a lot more food and you had better hope your rabbit is hungry!

Rabbits are free willed animals and may learn to just ignore what yousay, lol. I spent about 6 weeks trying to get them to come when calledbut soon the treats lost effect and they stopped listening, lol.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
My gosh! bunnies that aren't hungry for treats??? Bopractically FLIES for oats! :shock:
They much rather train me to bring the oats or other treats to them.

That's one question to ask yourself if attempting to train them -- who's really training who?

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
My gosh!bunnies that aren't hungry for treats??? Bo practically FLIES for oats!:shock:
They much rather train me to bring the oats or other treats to them.

That's one question to ask yourself if attempting to train them --who's really training who?
Yes, true. I went throughthat with my dog. If Bo doesn't come to me when Icall. He doesn't get his oats and he goes into hiscage. He usually will come to me tho.

No one in our house can open a Jatz or chippacket anymore, Bindy goes nuts and if she's out of her hutch she justruns full speed to you and tries sticking her nose in the packet , soyou have to hold it up away from her.

We think it's funny now but I'm sure we won't one day if we put our bickies down and Bindy eats them all lol

Latest posts

Back