Do i vaccinate ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jude

Reaction score
I've heard that rabbits do not have vaccinations, but my vet today said theu have and should take mange and rabies vaccinations

I want to know are they safe and suitable to rabbits ?
And my bunny never leaves home its indoor so is it necessary for her to be vaccinated ?

Are they safe ??

Mange can be prevented with topical "Revolution" and rabbits don't need a Rabies vaccine.

Rabbits get vaccinations for viruses in places like the UK and Australia. Unsure if those viruses are present where you live or what the vaccination protocol for them are there. No vaccines in North America.

It's the first time I've ever heard of rabbits getting vaccination for mange and rabies (from whom would the rabbit get the rabies from anyway if it's an indoor rabbit?). Rabbits are vaccinated (at least in Europe) but for VHD (your rabbit bleeds to death in a few hours) and myxomatosis, which is a deadly illness specific to rabbits. I'm guessing your vet isn't specialized in rabbits...

Since you're in Jordan, you might want to see if there are any other vets who treat rabbits and ask them if this is true. I would think that rabies is an issue for an outside rabbit, unless you have other pets who go outside.

I have never heard of rabbits needing to be vaccinated.

It all depends if myxomatosis and VHD are common in your country. From what I gathered rabbits in the US aren't vaccinated so it probably isn't a problem there. In France, those illness are pretty common and kill a lot of wild rabbits (you can actually see lots of dead rabbits in the fields during the summer in some areas). Considering those illness are spread by mosquitoes and soiled hay it is considered prudent to vaccinate even indoor rabbits, especially since those illness are pretty horrible and have no cure. It is a real pain as it is expensive and the myxomatosis vaccine only lasts for 6 months but I did it even when I lived in Paris.
I have no idea about Jordan though.

Latest posts

Back