do bunnies really need pellets If there eating hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they do need pellets, or at least a balanced diet to ensure that they get the much needed vitamins and minerals.

Pellets are not just hay, if you read the info on the back of your pellets packet it should tell you what is in it, and all the vitamins and minerals in there, if you read it, it might help you understand why they need it.

Some people don't use pellets, but use a very carefully chosen diet of fresh food, but I believe this is really hard to do.

Hay on its own, is not enough to sustain a healthy bunny and keep it healthy.

You really should feed pellets as they do have extra vitamins and fibre/protein. If you check the top of this forum, there is a pinned section at the very top called "feeding your rabbit-Q & A" that will explain everything;).

Sorry guys....I have to offer a contrarian view here.....kinda like "Point-Counterpoint". Rabbits do not need pellets assuming the hay and greens they are getting are high quality. Pellets are much more for our convenience than any benefit to the rabbits. Now if you have a sick or older rabbit....I have no problem offering pellets. And honestly, we do feed a very limited quantity of pellets...but our Flemish that now exceed 25 pounds....get less than a quarter cup per day if they get any at all.....and we actually count the number of pellets offered to some of our dwarf buns. The key is well grown and high quality hay. Most pellets have at least 14% protein and most even higher. A rabbit's gut has evolved to live off low protein food.....and there is not much protein in grass and bark. That is how the "hind gut fermenter" comes into play and the cecum plays a huge role in that. We have buns that don't even get pellets since they add weight too easily....watch for Maytag's story upcoming in our blog. But they live perfectly healthy off grass hay (again we feed the highest quality) and greens.I don't care if my buns eat the few pellets they are offered....I'm looking for empty hay racks and no left over greens. Want further proof? Look at wild rabbits....they are different species but their inner workings are indentical to domestics. I bet there aren't many that get pellets. I don't feed our rehabbing cottontails pellets. They eat grass and plants that they would find naturally. They are slim and trim....and in perfect health.

Another down side to feeding pellets is that they can actually contribute to dental problems. It doesn't take much chewing to crush those pellets so the teeth don't get to work like they should....and that usually results in overgrown teeth.

I know my comments will create controversy....but my intention is to initiate good and informative conversation on the matter. I am not against feeding pellets in a very limited fashion...but the correct answer to the question is....no, they do not need pellets if fed a proper diet of high quality grass and greens.

Looking forward to comments on this one.

Randy

Not from me they won't!:p I always appreciate your input, so remember that Randy;).

I knew rabbits can get on very well with hay and the right veggies, I just question when it comes to a regular or new member that wants to do this. Alot of education is involved to pull it off successfully. That's why I take the other approach, but that's is totally great for you to add. I admire it!

But I'm wondering just how many different greens you would have to feed per day in order to meet all of their nutritional needs??? I'm wondering how feasible that is? (Seriously - I'm not intending to either dispute or flame.)

Actually Randy I do agree with you in the cases of healthy, non-skinny buns. Most of the reason I wrote that FAQ though is because we had a bunch of new members joining the board who read that they didn't have to feed pellets. So they were only feeding hay and maybe a bit of romaine or carrot and that was it. Their rabbits looked seriously malnourished and I kept having to get on their cases to increase the amount and variety of greens and add a bit of pellets for safety. I was literally tearing my hair out! I still feel that newbie bunny owners are better off feeding at least a few tablespoons of pellets daily, it doesn't have to be much.

EC, that's the problem- I'm not really sure how many different greens they would need, and the amounts depend on which article I'm reading at the moment. Some say 2 cups per 5 lb bun, some say a pile as big as the rabbit, etc. If they say how many types, they usually say something low like three which I disagree with. It should be more than that. I'm thinking more like 5 different leafy greens from different plant families or with different nutritional values. Plus an occasional bit of other veggies like broccoli, carrot, etc. Now I can do that easy in summer, but it's really to get enough decent veggies during a Wisconsin winter. After being shipped halfway across the continent they look pretty bruised and limp.

Just to make it easier I made a list of bunny safe veggies and listed them in their plant families. I'll have to repost it because it was lost in the website change, but I saved it on my computer.

I'm curious about this also! And agreed it is MUCH easier in the summer/harder in winter to alternate a wide variety of mixed greens/veggies. For me, even though i raised max on a varied diet of veggies/greens- aside from his favorites, it can be tricky getting him to even eat diff ones he may not like as much. Part of why I give some pellets as well.

I keep a large cereal bowl of mixed/alternated greens with some added bun safe veggies or fresh herbs out for max everyday along with hay and basically let him eat as much greens/hay as he wants because his appetite often decreases in the hot months and increases in the cold months.

He's been healthy and trim. :)

Angela, I hear you re. winter and lack of variety in greens, though that's also a problem for me during the spring and summer months - it's 10 times worse during the winter. That's reason enough for me to be using pellets as part of my rabbit's daily diet.

I know one of the medical people on EB feeds at least 7 different kinds of greens on a daily basis...

Two of ourbunnies have been desexed lately and the vet has been giving some handy rabbit advice as he sees fit.

We feedloads ofhay, small amounts of pellets and small amounts of greens. We would feed more greens to our buns cos they love them, but we have noticed even small amounts give our buns a runny constitution and as they are inside buns this can be well, very messy.

Our vet suggests hay and greens only as too many pellets as mentioned here cause overweight bunnies and doesnt help with dental health.Although on saying that our vet commented our rabbits were in perfect health both physically and dental. So perhaps its everything in moderation??:bunnydance:

I also agree with you Randy.

When I said
Yes, they do need pellets, or at least a balanced diet to ensure that they get the much needed vitamins and minerals.
That was because I had no idea about which greens or anything to feed, I just knew it had to be a balanced diet.

And I also don't think that as you put it 'controvery' is a bad thing. I persoanlly just think it is a differing opinion that opens things for debate.

I would be interested in feeding a no pellet diet, but I have enough trouble getting decent veggies as it is. I think it's something I'll look into more in the future. :)

I currently feed all my buns pellets as their main diet, plus ample amounts of hay. I also give grass and other greens, fruit and vege. I would like to try a non pellet diet for one of my buns to see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back