Do any of you know a dog gate that works for bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
For my new apartment I’m looking for an extra gate that i can keep in the bunnies room as to keep them safe. I will have dogs over to the apartment because our family have dogs and they always follow. My bunnies are used with dogs and won’t react stressed.

Even though they will have a door closed, there are kids in the family. So as to prevent a dog getting into the room or the bunnies getting out I want to fix a gate to their room as an extra precaution. The problem I have are that my nethies truly slip through most spaces. While Toste and Embla easily jump over a gate but that isn’t a problem. It’s just to buy time if someone accidentally opens the door to their room.

Are you looking to leave it in place permanently? Argos do a pet gate with really small holes for around £20. It's pressure fit and pretty sturdy however it is only about 60cm tall (wouldn't be an issue if the main door is behind/in front, obviously) and not the best if you're using it constantly. You can get pull across mesh pet barriers from Amazon which would be fine for stopping rabbits passing the barriers and they're pretty tall however wouldnt stop a determined dog.

Are you looking to leave it in place permanently? Argos do a pet gate with really small holes for around £20. It's pressure fit and pretty sturdy however it is only about 60cm tall (wouldn't be an issue if the main door is behind/in front, obviously) and not the best if you're using it constantly. You can get pull across mesh pet barriers from Amazon which would be fine for stopping rabbits passing the barriers and they're pretty tall however wouldnt stop a determined dog.

I want the gate to stop a dog, I can rabbit proof it. I would use it permanently if I will have to dog sit. Most dogs in the family are used with small pets except one who is a haunting dog he can’t be around cats or bunnies. Which is my brother dog but he rarely visit with his dog because he knows of the bunnies.

It’s more that if the accident are there and someone open the door to the bunnies room. I want there to be a barrier that can give you time to react.These 5 years with dogs visiting we had no accidents but I just want to make that risk a lot smaller ☺️

How tall where you thinking?

Just a normal door gate that will work as a barrier between the living room and the bunnies room. Both a determined dog or rabbit will be able to jump over but there will be a bit of hesitation. It will be more common with young kids coming over and participate in family gathering now. So I just want to make sure I take an extra precaution for my buns ☺️

Just a normal door gate that will work as a barrier between the living room and the bunnies room. Both a determined dog or rabbit will be able to jump over but there will be a bit of hesitation. It will be more common with young kids coming over and participate in family gathering now. So I just want to make sure I take an extra precaution for my buns ☺

https://www.chewy.com/b/gates-1465
here is a link to dog gates on chewy.com

I want the gate to stop a dog, I can rabbit proof it. I would use it permanently if I will have to dog sit. Most dogs in the family are used with small pets except one who is a haunting dog he can’t be around cats or bunnies. Which is my brother dog but he rarely visit with his dog because he knows of the bunnies.

It’s more that if the accident are there and someone open the door to the bunnies room. I want there to be a barrier that can give you time to react.These 5 years with dogs visiting we had no accidents but I just want to make that risk a lot smaller ☺
A standard pet gate (taller than baby gates) reinforced with mesh would work, on the inside or outside of the door.

You might also want to look into a double door type system if taking up a bit of space isn't a concern... I used a temporary one whilst current bun settled in as I have a dog and a toddler. We all cohabit beautifully now but felt rabbit needed time to settle in before also getting used to the dog. He's respectful of waiting at doorways but didn't want him to dart in and spook the rabbit if the toddler got to the door before me! I just made it out of part of an xpen. 😊

You're definitely doing the right thing adding an extra layer of security! Things happen fast especially when kids and animals are involved. We have no barriers now except the house doors but I wouldnt hesitate to put in another system if I had another dog staying. 😊

A standard pet gate (taller than baby gates) reinforced with mesh would work, on the inside or outside of the door.

You might also want to look into a double door type system if taking up a bit of space isn't a concern... I used a temporary one whilst current bun settled in as I have a dog and a toddler. We all cohabit beautifully now but felt rabbit needed time to settle in before also getting used to the dog. He's respectful of waiting at doorways but didn't want him to dart in and spook the rabbit if the toddler got to the door before me! I just made it out of part of an xpen. 😊

You're definitely doing the right thing adding an extra layer of security! Things happen fast especially when kids and animals are involved. We have no barriers now except the house doors but I wouldnt hesitate to put in another system if I had another dog staying. 😊

Thanks for the tips. My bunnies are used with dogs but other dogs aren’t always used with bunnies. I’m also going to get a dog two years from now, so having it all set up will be good ☺️

For my new apartment I’m looking for an extra gate that i can keep in the bunnies room as to keep them safe. I will have dogs over to the apartment because our family have dogs and they always follow. My bunnies are used with dogs and won’t react stressed.

Even though they will have a door closed, there are kids in the family. So as to prevent a dog getting into the room or the bunnies getting out I want to fix a gate to their room as an extra precaution. The problem I have are that my nethies truly slip through most spaces. While Toste and Embla easily jump over a gate but that isn’t a problem. It’s just to buy time if someone accidentally opens the door to their room.
I bought this baby Gate for my rabbits, my rabbits are very high jumpers so it didn't work. Instead i Gave it to my big brain friend who put 2 of the gates on each other, It work s great!

Attachments

• c870x524.jpg
    c870x524.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 3
I would get a sturdy gate with a door opening system you like, and then securely zip tie grids along it (or hardware cloth, depending on what size your rabbits are and their squeezability) to narrow the gaps. You can be strategic and attach the grids/cloth in a way that doesn't disrupt door swing.

Back