Dirty scent glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offspring2099

Reaction score
Penny has hard poop like gunk in both of her scent glands. Should we carefully remove these or not?
Thank you.

new.jpg

Sure, go for it as long as you do it really carefully.

I don't like recommending cleaning them much because people might get too enthusiastic about it, and leaving them as far as I know isnothing that will hurt a rabbit.

But they can get stinky andthese ones looked pretty caked.

Best to use abowlof warmish water and a cotton bud and justkeep very gently wiping and wiping andwiping. It won't seem like it's doing much atfirst, but eventuallythe gunk will losen and come off.

Thanks for the pics! (Great for the library). ;)

Let us know how it goes.

sas :)

Thanks Pipp,

I removed them very gently. I could see that the lining of the skin was actually stuck pretty hard to them. So I did it as gently as I could. I've read that if its gushy, just use a q-tip, but these were really hard. I think I need to check Penny's bum a bit more often so this doesn't happen.

LOL what a little floosy! ;)

BTW, Did you want to cry or throw-up when you had to clean those out?

Yes, it was rather potent, she let me do the right one while lying on her side, but after that we had to do the bunny burrito.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
LOL what a little floosy! ;)

BTW, Did you want to cry or throw-up when you had to clean those out?

I get that joyous event later when Bo is less stressed out. He is still a bit upset over the vet appointment today.

Latest posts

Back