Difficulty giving oral med.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im surprised your bunny doesnt love Metacam...mine can't get enough of it! I didnt know it came in liver flavor..I thought all of it was honey? You might want to check the manufacturers website to be sure.

If your bun doesnt like it, your best bet is to mix it in something she does like. I would not use honey though, too sweet and sugary for bunnies. That is great about the blueberries! You could do the same with other fruits...put a little on a banana slice or mush up some banana with the meds. Try the same with strawberry or some yummy baby food (apple/strawberry/banana or carrot baby food is a favorite here). You can also try unsweetened applesauce, canned (pure) pumpkin etc. There arent too many juices out there you can use since so many have added sugars. You would want to look for something 100% juice. I have used carrot juice in a bind. You can also use children's pedialyte, which is often flavored nicely.
As Pipp mentioned, I know Randy and others have concerns about long term use of Metacam but I have used it for years with no problems. My Basil was on it for a year at least for his arthritis. My Max has also been on it on and off for years. We had both of their bloodwork done to check their kidney and liver functions regularly and neither had shown signs of damage. That's not to say it's completely safe, and sometimes Im betting the vet is thinking the benefit short term outweighs the cost long term. There are definitely risks, but I really see no reason to stop Metacam abruptly if it is bringing her comfort.
Sounds like you are on your way to figuring this medicine thing out! It's tough to force a bunny to eat something she doesnt want to eat but you will learn the tricks!

Latest posts

Back