Difference?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

~M

One big difference, m.e., is that Polish don't have the 'dwarfing gene'.

-Carolyn

Polish always struck me, layman, as a midget, inthat they are small, but in perfect proportion. Dwarfs arejust that, dwarfs...who sometimes seem disproportionate with their tinyears, bulging eyes and circularly shaped body. These commentsare all in layman's terms and reflect my opinion only. I'm not tryingto breed bash.

There is also some degree of confusion, in my mind at least, betweenBritannia Petites and Polish in this country and England.Perhaps our ARBA judge may be able to clarify that issue if she readsthis post.

Buck

The only thing the Polish and Netherland have incommon is the fact that they are both small,compactbreeds. The maximum weight of a Netherlandfor show is 2 1/2 pounds where the max. Polish weight is 3 1/2.

In addition to the differences mentioned by Carolyn and Buck . . .

The body type of the Nethie and Polish is very different. TheNethie is shaped more like a ball with the head attached at a 90% angleto the shoulder, where the Polish body type forms a taper from thehindquarters to the shoulders (similar to most commercialbreeds). The headset is lower on the Polish.

Polish and Netherlands come in different varieties.

The Nethie has rollback fur, where the Polish fur is flyback (rollback fur is a DQ for Polish).

The Nethie head is to be rounded in all directions, where the Polishhas a curvature from the side view, without the roundness from a frontview.

There is more consideration on the Polish eye than on theNetherland. the Polish must have a very bold eye --unfortunately, this has been taken to the extreme where I've seen eyesthat bulge out like a bullfrogs :(

Both the Polish and Nethie DQ dewlaps, however, the Polish are slightly more lenient, allowing the small fur "pencil line".

The allowable ear length of the Polish is slightly longer (as they area slightly larger rabbit in size). The Polish standard callsfor the ears to touch each other the entire length, where this is notrequired in the Netherland.

Despite all these differences, it can be very frustrating to be judgingthe Polish and find so many that are very similar to the NetherlandDwarf :X I see many with dwarf-like heads, where there shouldbe a significant difference in the appearance of the head. Ifind the Polish head and eye a little more similar to the Mini Rexhead, where the Netherlands have a "bulldog" type head.

Pam ~ "Bunny Judge" :cool:

Thanksfor the details,Judge. Thanks m.e. for asking.

What would do you think of Tucker's head?

-Carolyn

Buck Jones wrote:
There is also some degree of confusion, in my mind at least, betweenBritannia Petites and Polish in this country and England.Perhaps our ARBA judge may be able to clarify that issue if she readsthis post.

What we call Britannia Petites here are called Polish in the UK.

Pam

Carolyn wrote:
Thanksfor the details,Judge. Thanks m.e. for asking.

What would do you think of Tucker's head?

-Carolyn

Mr. Tucker, indeed, has a Polish head :)

Conversely, I've also seen a lot of Netherlands with Polish type heads as well as the Polish with Netherland heads.

Pam

Buck Jones wrote:

What, then, are our Britannia Petites called in the UK, and does the UKrecognize a breed called the Britannia Petite? Are they two,separate and distinct breeds?

Buck
Our Britannia Petites came from the UK, where they call themPolish. I believe our Polish originated from the Dutch breed,and were established in the US before the Britannia was (hence the needfor a different name).

If someone has the correct info and reference on this, please feel freeto correct me :), as I don't have a reference in front of me at themoment on the breed history of the Brit and Polish.

Pam

We had Netherlands thrown off the table at a showi was at because they looked like polish.They did and they had thewrong type of fur.they were out of supposedly pedigreed netherlands.Iknew a lady for many years sold polish to a pet store but she told themthey were dwarfs.Some people think they are a dwarf breed.We had someat the fair last year the judge said had netherland heads.bluebird

Back