Did I see a bug??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
About three days ago, I was snuggling Q and I thought I saw a little bug on her fur. I went to pick it out but lost it in the plushyness of mini-rex fluff.

I've been keeping a really close eye on her, and I thought I saw another tonight, but I can never get to them, or see down to her skin because she's so floofy.

How do you tell if your plushy bunny has fleas?

Also, where would she have gotten them? We don't have other animals....

They can just get tracked in from outside. Try looking around the neck or belly area where the fur isn't as thick, and if there are any, you may have an easier time seeing them there.

I couldn't find any. I've flipped her a few times in the past few days to check...maybe it's a dust bunny and my housekeeping skills are that bad????

I checked all of those areas and saw nothing...I'll be keeping an eye on her though. We have tiny tiny moths in my apartment, it could be that she had been playing with one and it got away.

Rabbits don't typically get fleas, so it would be even less likely if you don't have other pets. Keep an eye out, but I don't think there's any reason to worry. :)

It burrows too fast to be sure, but it looked like a flea. I keep losing them in her plushiness. She doesn't seem to have many of them...I've only seen two tonight and I've been grooming the fluff outta her. I'll call the vet in the morning, but she's a four hour drive away.

I would use a topical parasiticide on her if it were my rabbit. Under no circumstances should frontline (fipronil) be used on rabbits but advantage is considered safe. Revolution would be my top choice but that can only be gotten from the vet's office.

local cat/dog vets would probably be willing to sell a kitten dose of revolution... they can always phone your regular vet to confirm that selamectin is safe for rabbits if they won't take your word for it.

If it's fleas you should be able to find flea dirt little black specks. If you see them put them on a wet paper towel and if they turn red it's fleas.

I thought you said you picked one off of her? You have to know what you're dealing with before you treat so that you use a medicine that will be effective. So if you're not sure, I think having the vet examine her would be the best option.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're fleas, but I can't catch them because she's so floofy. I've been trying without avail for two days. I don't think she has very many, but we'll see.

Do medicines like revolution work on a really plushy rabbit?

when my rabbit got fleas, i used i think this flea spray and i didn't spray it directly on him. my petstore said spraying flea stuff on them won't work because of their fur. so i sprayed a flea comb (or a brush that actually brushes all of the fur near the skin too)with the flea spray and and brushed him regurely and it worked. i like this way because using the comb, it actually brushed down into the fur near the skin so that means the spray that was on the comb would get to the skin and kill those little suckers!!

maybe this will help :)

Just be sure you do your research into what drug is in whatever you're buying. Advantage, Frontline (not for use on rabbits!), and Revolution are all very thoroughly tested whereas some of the "natural" products may not be. And this is one of those cases where I would definitely trust a vet over a pet store employee.

Latest posts

Back