Diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
I went out this morning to feed Rippers and take care of him, and found all this loose/gookypoop on the carpet. I don't know about it being true diarhea or what, but what should I do for it? His whole rear is messy as well. It wasn't at all formed, very very loose.

I fed him a piece of romaine a couple days ago for the first time, about a square in. in size. The rest of his diet has stayed the same (unlimited hay, and unlimited pellets).

I'm going to be out alot today, but now I'm going to worry about him the whole time.

Help?

Thanks a bunch!

~Mia

Oh dear. First off is he outdoors? Not that it matters but maybe you should bring him in for the day to keep him warm and quiet. Does the poo smell? Because that will tell you if its fecal or badly formed cecatropes. I would push hay,water and maybe a few oats. How is his behavior? Is he lethargic or active? Also how old is he?

Push hay and water, definitely keep him hydrated. You can syringe him canned pumpkin to get lots of fiber in him. Take away the romaine lettuce for a day or two. That may be what caused his runny poop and see if it clears up. If it doesn't clear up, then you will need to take him in to the vet.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:

Oh dear. First off is he outdoors? Not that it matters but maybe you should bring him in for the day to keep him warm and quiet. Does the poo smell? Because that will tell you if its fecal or badly formed cecatropes. I would push hay,water and maybe a few oats. How is his behavior? Is he lethargic or active? Also how old is he?
Yes, he is an outside bunny-he's about 6 months old, a holland lop. I'd bring him in, but where I live its already pretty cool outside and I don't want to mess up his respiritory system-he's had previous problems and I don't want to stir anything up.
I couldn't tell if it was mushed up stepped all over cecotrophs or not. He had some issues like this once before for no apparent reason. I would say it was the veggies, but that was 3 days before. :?

Sweetie wrote:
Push hay and water, definitely keep him hydrated. You can syringe him canned pumpkin to get lots of fiber in him. Take away the romaine lettuce for a day or two. That may be what caused his runny poop and see if it clears up. If it doesn't clear up, then you will need to take him in to the vet.
Yeah, I"m wondering if its not the hay-he doesn't eat very much at all since he still gets unlimited pellets. I'm planning to hold for a while on giving the romaine. I gave him some oats (like a tsp. on his food) and some simithicone. As of last evening he's doing fine. He seems pretty happy, although slightly annoyed at me for the simithicone-but not lethargic or anything.

I have this problem with Rocky and I'm not sure what it is. I am still looking for a good vet that will help with the problem. Rocky's poops are formed but mushy and it could be the type of pellet I give him or the bok choy.

I say take him to the vet, and in the mean time just keep his diet simple and dont change anything like adding veges at the moment

How is he acting? Is he eating/drinking? It may just be due to a minor virus or GI upset. Try giving him some hay and a little rolled oats. If the loose droppings continue, a vet visit is in order. Some viruses are transmitted fecally (rotavirus for example), so wear gloves and wash hands well after handling. I wouldn't stress him out by pushing fluids/food. If the loose droppings continue, he should be put on a drip at the vets.
We occassionally see a virus go through the barn at this time of year. The rabbits have a loose stool, but continue to eat/drink and recover quickly in most cases.

He seems pretty content/happy frisky. Baiscally himself: you go out to his cage and he immediately starts circling your arm. :p
He's eating his pellets and driking his water. His hay tends to not get eaten to much which may be the problem. However, I'm thinking its because he's still young (6 mo.) and still has unlimited pellets that he's not going for the hay so much.

I'm thinking this is something that is self limiting, however, you might consider a fecal float for parasites. (such as coccidia)

I've seen some more in there today, but it really looks like mashed/stepped on cecotrophs. This is usually just from not enough fiber, correct? Not alot, just some here and there.

At 7 months you start to decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight anyway, I would just start early.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I've seen some more in there today, but it really looks like mashed/stepped on cecotrophs. This is usually just from not enough fiber, correct? Not alot, just some here and there.

Sounds like whatever he had is clearing up rather than a result of lack of fiber.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:

Sounds like whatever he had is clearing up rather than a result of lack of fiber.

Latest posts

Back