Diarrhea or runny cecals?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Harper gets his staples out tomorrow morning,not Thursday morning. The vet feels he is now ready tomorrow, yay! I will mention this to the vet tomorrow, however I want opinions from others here. Harper is going to the bathroom wonderfully now, lots of poopies! However, when he goes, it's alternating. Sometimes he will go round dry, light coloredpoopies, other times it's this extremely black, runny poopy. Is it diarrhea, or is that runny cecals? He has his collar on 24/7, so he's not able to eat the cecals as far as I can tell. Because of this, could the runny black stuff be his cecals coming out? I don't want to tell the vet he has diarrhea and put my little man through a battery of tests if it's not needed, especially since he is pooping round, dry poops as well. I'm at a loss.

That would be unformed cecals. Are they smelly? As long as the poops are normal at the same time, it's not diarrhea.

It may mean a diet adjustment, shouldn't affect anything else. He's coming through this like a trooper!

sas :bunnydance:

They're not smelly as far as I can tell, however I haven't gotten close enough to know for sure. I had a feeling they were probably cecals, given the fact that the rest of his poopies are hard and mostly normal looking. Thanks Pipp!

I'd guess unformed cecals, and they're probably caused by his less-than-normal diet after the surgery. He'll probably go back to normal once he's eating the same amount of hay and pellets (versus banana and other treats) as he's used to. You might have to clean his butt for him though.:)

Latest posts

Back