Diarrhea...again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnicula

Reaction score
Bunnicula's Castle, S.Central, Pennsylvania, USA
Well, I was headed out to breakfast with a friend, but of course needed to feed and snuggle the bunnies first.

Unfortunately I discovered that Pipkin has a poopy butt and there is some wet, loose stool in the cage.

I removed him and cleaned him up. He's now out here in the cage with a little NIC run where I can keep a close eye on him. He is drinking, nibbling a little hay, and even noshing on a few pellets. He appears to be lively and active. Though his appetite is not what it usually is. I am not hearing any gurgling from his tummy, and it does not feel hard at all.

He had a bout of HORRIBLE diarrhea back during Memorial Day weekend. That resulted in Critical Care force feeds (such fun ;)), forced fluids, and a trip to the vet and meds. His symptoms back then included watery diarrhea, listlessness, tummy "rumbling",and lack of appetite. We never found the cause, but suspected that he could have eaten some cat food (though I highly doubt it...the cats gobble it up too quickly to leave much behind).

Yesterday/today are hot, humid days...so even if he becomes inactive I would have trouble determining whether from the heat or the tummy ache. He did have about 5-6 hrs of play time on the porch yesterday with his mate. I double-checked and can't find ANYTHING he might have eaten or chewed on that would cause gastric upset. Other than that play period he spent the rest of the day in his cage with Emmaline.

Right now I am holding off on a vet trip...but don't know quite what to do...

Anyone out there have a bun with chronic cases of poopy butt? Any suggestions about possible causes?

I've got the Critical Care, Benebac, cornstarch (for a "bath"), and all the other gear at ready.

Oh...and I cancelled that breakfast date :(in case I need to make a date with the Dr.

Hope your weekend is starting out better than mine.

-Mary Ellen

If his tummy is gurgling, it probably means gas. Give him a gas medicine with the active ingredient simithicone. You have to give more than the recommended dosage on the box, normally an eye dropper full every hour for 3-4 hours will do the trick.

Make sure he gets lots of fluids. Maybe give him a bit of pedialyte to keep him hydrated. Hydration will also help with upset tummies too.

What kind of food does he normally get and how much per day? Poopy butt can sometimes be caused by too much protien. If he's not on a timothy pellet, you may want to try switching him over.

--Dawn

Thanks Dawn!

I only waited about another hour from my last post before I was in the vet's office. He did a thorough exam and testing. We still cannot come up with the cause.

Pipkin eats unlimited timothy hay (with some other types thrown in occasionally for variety, 1/8 c or a bit more of Oxbow timothy pellets in the morning, and a mixed greens salad at supper time.

The vet and I are thinking that he's got a sensitive stomach and there is some food that is disagreeing with him. Thankfully he is drinking (though the vet did administer sub-q fluids) and eating a bit of hay. I've left him the pellets, too...though he's not eaten many of those.

I did try a tummy rub for the gas, but that only agitated him.

The vet has put him on a course of trimethioprim and some metacam for the discomfort. I'm to limit his access to salads for now and only introduce things gradually when we get his GI situation settled.

It's strange, though, he's eaten a variety of greens since January and has only had 2 incidences of diarrhea (today and back in May). It's not as if any food is a regular trigger of this.

As he isn't eating much, I plan to offer some Critical Care tonight.

At least this time he is not lethargic...in fact, he is quite active. He is also drinking on his own. So that is better than our last episode.

Try cutting out either the veggies or the pellets. If that doesn't help, switch slowly and then cut out the other one. Some rabbits simply don't do well on a "normal" diet, and I have heard of both ones that can't have much or any pellets and ones that can't have much or any veggies. They won't necessarily have constant problems but would get GI episodes more frequently including diarrhea, gas, stasis, etc.

Have you given him gas meds yet? That's always what I do first. It's not absorbed into the body, does not appear to interfere with other meds, you really can't overdose it, and even if gas isn't the primary problem the reduction of it can make the bunny more comfortable. Use baby gas meds with simethicone as the active ingredient.

Thanks Angela!

I did not give any salad tonight. He is munching a bit on hay and pellets...though his appetite is not as it usually is. The vet & I thought we'd try him without greens and slowly reintroduce them. If there is a recurrence we'll go the pellet elimination route. I am prepared to go to an all-hay diet if that is what works. We'll do whatever is best.

I did not try gas meds. The tummy rumbling stopped hours ago, and he does seem more comfortable. I will pick up some baby gas meds tomorrow when I am out to have them on hand.

Have you ever given a tummy rub for gas? I tried this morning, but Pipkin DID NOT LIKE IT! Perhaps I was doing it wrong. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

This is the first bunny I've ever had with GI issues, so this is so new to me.

Thanks!

Oh, and Angela, are Mr. B and Captain Jack/Jane still at the shelter? Just wondering.

-Mary Ellen

I haven't been in to the shelter yet. I've been really busy with family problems.:(

I always have gas meds on hand now that I know how helpful they are. And yes, I have done tummy massages. Sprite had a bad case of gas/bloat and the gas meds weren't doing anything as she was so stopped up that they never got where they needed to. Lets just say that my hubby is the master of making bunnies fart, LOL! She did appreciate it even though she hates being touched. Although Oberon hated it when I had to do it to him once.

Car rides can help with gas too- the vibrations get things moving.;)

naturestee wrote:
I haven't been in to the shelter yet. I've been really busy with family problems.:(
Sorry that you're having some tough things to deal with. You did mention that on your vacation thread, I think. Hope that things settle down for you soon.

Thanks for sharing about the gas meds and the car ride idea.

Just the thought of bunny farts makes me chuckle:biggrin2:!

Thanks, Seniorcats! I read that very article this morning. Right now Pipkin and Emmaline are playing in the bunny room. At least this time he is active. I really thought that our May episode was caused by his getting into something he shouldn't have (though I had no idea what). But since it happened again the vet and I are thinking it is more likely some kind of dietary issue...something he is sensitive to...

I am glad that both diarrhea outbreaks happened when I was home...not when we were on vacation this summer. It's a little scary to me to think that this might be something chronic to deal with. But we'll make it!

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice.

-Mary Ellen

Hi Mary Ellen I hope your little Pipkin is feeling better. I find when one of ours has an upset tummy I actually walk holding them giving their tummy rubbies.

I'mcurious when you said you will offer him Critical Care does he actually eat it himself. We always have to syringe it to ours they do not like it at all.

Susan:sickbunny:

Bunnicula wrote:
Thanks, Seniorcats! I read that very article this morning. Right now Pipkin and Emmaline are playing in the bunny room. At least this time he is active. I really thought that our May episode was caused by his getting into something he shouldn't have (though I had no idea what). But since it happened again the vet and I are thinking it is more likely some kind of dietary issue...something he is sensitive to...

I am glad that both diarrhea outbreaks happened when I was home...not when we were on vacation this summer. It's a little scary to me to think that this might be something chronic to deal with. But we'll make it!

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice.

-Mary Ellen

Uh oh,thinkng alike again.

Some bunnies with ISS seem to do better on American PeT Diner pellets or Martins. Both are timothy based but lower in carbs. Molasses, found in Oxbow and other pellets, can also cause a problem. Sometimes I think the heat plays a part.

I'm sure you will find the answer.

Usually I end up syringing it. The vet gave me the "mother of all syringes" today. It is this mambo super-huge syringe. I think it must be something for horse meds :shock:. I may just use it to mix the CC up and then use the smaller ones to administer the food.

Pipkin has been munching on hay and drinking...so I'm not sure if I should push the CC issue with him. And he's busy with his girlfriend anyway right now. I'll probably try a 1/2 dose before bed feeding.

Back