Dark blood in quick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem21

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here, so I hope this is the right section. I was just about to cut my bunnies nails, when I noticed on one of them the quick was a dark red/brown (like it had been bleeding inside). I just noticed it now...

It doesn't seem to bother him, he's hoping normally and eating everything.

Should I be concerned? Or should I wait and see...

Thanks

Are your rabbit's nails white or dark? All nails have a quick which is the blood vessel to the nail. Depending on the nail colour, this can appear to be darker on colour. Some nails do show the quick differently than others, but it is usually normal.

Taking a clear picture and posting it here (you can use photobucket or another picture hosting website) will help to determine if the nail is normal or not.

Thanks for your reply.

He has white nails, and usually the quick is a light pinkish.

Here is a picture, it's not the best, but Thumper would not co-operate, and is now mad at me for holding him trying to take a picture! LOL! He's been grooming himself for the last 5 minutes!! :biggrin:

IMG_2469.jpg

I see the one you mean, his nails are quite long so he may have caught that one and he's got a bruise (like you get if you hit your thumb with a hammer). I wouldn't worry about it as long as he's not limping - still cut the nail. It should go away on it's own :)

Thanks everyone! :)

I have been meaning to cut his nails for a while, but I was sick and then was away, so it got delayed! I will keep my eye on it but hopefully it will go away!

I agree with Tasmin. I have cut a lot of bunny nails (at the shelter) in my life and have not seen a dark quick to that extent. In bunnies that desparately need a nail trim, there are sometimes dark spots in the quick, and I assume it is a bruise from getting caught on something like Tasmin said.

Back