Dangit. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with this.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
This is Lavender.

LA158.9297087-3-x.jpg

I think she's what's called a broken opal? She has tan spots as well as bluish. Anyways, she's gorgeous.

About a month ago Lavender had very bad coccidiosis. However it cleared up well and it's been a while. So, we decided to go ahead and have her spayed. Her surgery was last Tuesday. The surgery went very well, until riiiight in the middle. She started breathing funny, like she had a bunch of snot blocking her nasal passageways. Well, her uterus was already clamped off so we finished the surgery. (She chewed her stitches out the next day but they've since been healing.) She woke up fine, but we decided she needed antibiotics, because she obviously had a respiratory infection.

That Tuesday we started her on a pretty high dose of injectable Baytril. The next morning, there was clear snot all over her face and paws. Joy!

Continue with the Baytril. It seemed to be working, as the amount of snot has decreased a lot. But, it's almost been a week, and she still has discharge when she shouldn't.

So now we're going to try another antibiotic in conjunction with the Baytril, hopefully this one will work. It *should*. All this being said, Lavender is staying with me for a while. We're probably going to use trimethoprim-sulpha combinations or possibly tetracycline, I have no idea what Dad has decided on.

Other than the snot she's doing great, eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and being happy. She's been on enforced cage time since her spay wound opened, though...but she always wants to come out.

*sticks tongue out at respiratory infections*

aww She's really cute! It's so awful she's gotten sick like this.

I hope she gets better really quick now. The URI's are what really scare me with the bunnies. I don't want those!

Yeah, I'm more worried about tranferring it to Erik and Ivory. I'm currently using gloves to handle her.

Yep, that's one of my biggest fears! One will get it and then all of them will be sick!

Maybe she'll get to feeling better and won't be contagious in a day or so.

Are you getting it tested to see what kind of bacteria it is?

Hope she is better soon.

Eh, we really don't need to. It's probably Pasteurella. Trimethoprim-sulfa/Baytril are pretty standard treatments for any kind of upper respiratory infection.

Last night's dose of trimethoprim-sulfa already seems to have helped. She's also back on Albon for coccidiosis, so she's getting a double dose of sulfa drugs at the moment. Her paws are already cleaner.

she is beautiful and that pic is now my desktop background!! my coworkers must think i'm nuts, with all these different buns on my computer that aren't my own!

To let everyone know, Lavender is doing really well. All of the discharge cleared up out of one nostril and is mostly cleared out of the other.

*whew* I was a little worried.

Oh, VERY GOOD!! Glad to hear it!! :D

Back