critical care, how to store

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeCondo

Reaction score
I thought I should buy some critical care to have on hand in case I suddenly need some. How long would it be ok to use & how should it be stored?

Also, what flavor do rabbits seem to prefer?

I don't think rabbits like Critical Care (in my experience). Banana/apple is what they'll tolerate. (If needed, you can try the lettuce taco with feeding them Critical Care.) I have heard people freezing it to extend the shelf life (due to its fat content), but I think as long as it is in a cool and dry place within the expiry date is best. Usually 4-6 months.

Edit:
Should probably also mention that I have not found the need for Critical Care for years.

The package should have a best before date, so it would need to be used by then.
Store in a cool dry place. If you have opened the package, then put it in a sealed bag (like Ziplock) to help keep it fresh. I am not sure how long it will last once you open the bag, but you will probably want to use to as soon as you can.
Once you mix it, try to use what you mix with 12-24 hours. Try to only mix as much as you need for one feeding rather than have extra. Cover it and put it in a the fridge if you need to.

I have only even used the anise one as my vet was out of the other stuff when I needed it. Sophie seemed to like it well enough. Not enough to eat it on her own, but she was willing to eat it from the syringe.

Thanks, all. I saw some online, which didn't give any information about expiration dates. But, from looking at the ingredient list, which isn't that different from pellets', that I would just start with ground-up pellets soaked in water or juice.

Hello! Critical comes in anise (original), fine-grind, and apple-banana. My 4 like the apple-banana the best. The stuff we have does not expire until 2013. If you ask the store the expiration date, they should be able to tell you.
If you need to use Critical Care repeatedly, there may be something in your bunny's diet that is upsetting his/her tummy. One of mine cannot tolerate ANY fruit. One craisin will give her a terrible tummy ache. Now that I figured that out, she has a happy tummy, and has not needed CC for a very long time. : )

I store my opened bag in the fridge. Squeeze the air out of the bag, use the zip seal, then i stuck it in another zip loc bag with one of those silica packs that absorbs moisture that you get in vitamins.

I store mine in the fridge as well.

Watermelons-that's a great idea with the ziploc and silica packs. I'll have to do that.

Back