Could this be "Snuffles"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Today, I heard my Cali boy making strange, continuous "snuffling" sounds while he was eating/digging through his hay. I have never before heard him make this noise at any time, much less while eating.

I don't see signs of nasal or eye discharge. I listened to his breathing when he was out of his litter box and didn't hear anything odd (e.g.,rasping, wheezing, etc.).

Should I be concerned, since such sounds aren't normal for him? (We moved him into the same room with our two other rabbits; now I'm worried for them, should our male have a health issue.)

Thank you,

Jenk

My guys are getting progressively more vocal as they age. I don't remember Pipp making a peep for the first couple of years and now she honks, grunts, snorts, growls and even whimpers.

Mister and Darry sound like little piggies snorfling through their hay.

Maybe its something that comes with security? They're growing out of the fear of attracting predators after five-plus-years of safety?

sas :dunno:

Pipp wrote:
My guys are getting progressively more vocal as they age.
Our guy is estimated to be two years old this month; so he's not what I'd call "aged." ;)

I don't remember Pipp making a peep for the first couple of years and now she honks, grunts, snorts, growls and even whimpers.
You ought record her and provide the sounds for everyone's amusement. I'd especiallylove to hear a bunny honk, snort, and growl. (I'm grunted at daily by our one Mini Rex, who's definitelyour most vocal/disgruntled bun. :D)

Mister and Darry sound like little piggies snorfling through their hay.

For all I know, it was a one-time incident. (Or maybe our guy makes such noise on rare occasion.) I spied on him twice more this morning while he was in his litter box; hewasn't making any usual sounds. Besides,I know that if a rabbit isn't producing nasaldischarge, there really isn't anything to culture, yes?

Mike, my young Flemish, gave me a scare when he tried to jump out of his pen, smashed his nose against something and spent the next couple of days rubbing it and making odd noises. But it went away. It can be caused by that type of injury or anything else that causes sinitis or rhinitis, but they really do take on a vocabulary that seems to start around two. I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue and even increase.

I really do need to record Pipp! :)

sas :bunnydance:

Snuffles is an out-of-date term to refer to an upper respiratory infection. It doesn't sound like snuffles because there aren't any other signs of an upper respiratory infection.

tonyshuman wrote:
Snuffles is an out-of-date term to refer to an upper respiratory infection.
Someone should inform the power(s)-that-be at RO; it's listed as Snuffles under the health forum. ;) I do know what you mean, though.

It doesn't sound like snuffles because there aren't any other signs of an upper respiratory infection.
I'll keep a close eye on him; if nothing new develops, I'll have to chalk up the weird sounds to a flukeor an extra burst of quirky personality. :D

Jenk wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
Someone should inform the power(s)-that-be at RO; it's listed as Snuffles under the health forum. ;) I do know what you mean, though.
I agree, but at the same time that would cause a bit of confusion for bun owners who haven't even heard the term "Snuffles" and then "Pastuerella". It gets more owners to read up on it.:)

Jenk wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
Snuffles doesn't necessarily mean a bunny is just making 'snuffly noises'. It's just the term given to the upper respiratory infection caused by Pasteurella multocida.
It's like a 'cold' for us. Doesn't mean we are cold. Means we have an infection/ or are sneezing/headache etc.

:)

jcottonl02 wrote:
Snuffles doesn't necessarily mean a bunny is just making 'snuffly noises'. It's just the term given to the upper respiratory infection caused by Pasteurella multocida.
I know. :) I justthought he might be having bona-fide breathing issues related to Pasteurelladue to all the noise he made while rooting through his hay. I've never heard him do that before--or since that day; so I'm giving it no more thought unless any other symptom(s) arise(s).

:biggrin2:

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Jenk wrote:
I agree, but at the same time that would cause a bit of confusion for bun owners who haven't even heard the term "Snuffles" and then "Pastuerella". It gets more owners to read up on it.:)

Quite right. :D I know thatSnuffles refers certain symptoms indicative of the body's inability to keep Pasteurella in check. And, yet, I can admit that Snuffles is the term I sought in the infirmity forum's list right after I heard my guy making weird sounds. ;)The term may be inaccurate/outdated nowadays, but it serves a purpose.

Jenk wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
I know. :) I justthought he might be having bona-fide breathing issues related to Pasteurelladue to all the noise he made while rooting through his hay. I've never heard him do that before--or since that day; so I'm giving it no more thought unless any other symptom(s) arise(s).

:biggrin2:

You are right- it could just have been a gobbly noise he made because he was extra hungry! Lol. Just keep an eye, and if, as you say, no other symptoms arise (sneezing/runny eyes/crust on paws (from wiping his nose) etc.), and he's still enthusiastic about his food (sounds like it! :p), water, hay and toys, then I wouldn't worry.

Jen :pinkelepht: (I don't have any reason for putting the elephant, I just never have before, and thought it was about time :p)

jcottonl02 wrote:
Just keep an eye, and if, as you say, no other symptoms arise (sneezing/runny eyes/crust on paws (from wiping his nose) etc.), and he's still enthusiastic about his food (sounds like it! :p), water, hay and toys, then I wouldn't worry.
Will do! :biggrin2:

Jen :pinkelepht: (I don't have any reason for putting the elephant, I just never have before, and thought it was about time :p)
You know, I've never before used that emoticon, either. Guess it's one of those that you must use "just because"--otherwise, you'd never find a "valid" reason for it. LOL

Lol!!! Hahaha yes! It's a 'just because' emoticon. Like this one: :pinkbouce:

Some bunnies are just noisy. My own bunny sneezes occasionally, but he's not sick at all.

I would keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if you see discharge, but otherwise it could just be normal noisemaking for him.

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Jenk wrote:

Quite right. :D I know thatSnuffles refers certain symptoms indicative of the body's inability to keep Pasteurella in check. And, yet, I can admit that Snuffles is the term I sought in the infirmity forum's list right after I heard my guy making weird sounds. ;)The term may be inaccurate/outdated nowadays, but it serves a purpose.
Absolutely.:D

Latest posts

Back