Could it be time for long-term sub-Qs/ motility drugs for CPS bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Over the last 1.5 years, my CPS bun's fecal production has become worse, ranging from tiny/dry bits to large/slimy boulders. The last few weeks have been rough; her digestive tract was very distended from gas, andher fecal production was slowed. She was on sub-Qs for a total of about six (non-consecutive) days. Her vet also had me start Cisapride, Metoclopramide, and Metacam.

She's near the end of her course of motility drugs and already showing signs of a problem: some mucky/slimy fecals and some drier ones in her litter box. When this imbalanceappears,it seems that more gut symptoms follow.

She's not been drinking a normal amount of water--even prior to getting sub-Qs--and it's impossibleto syringe her enough throughout the day. (She also can't handle greens well--they give her gas--so that option is out.)

I hate the thought of having to rely on sub-Qs and medication at thispoint. I'm pretty sure it's noteven feasible, since my husband and I have been cutting expenses like crazy. (I've been out of work for three years now.) But I don't know of another option.

Does it sound like it might be time to rely on permanent fluids/drugs to keep Zoe's system going? (Yes, I plan to call her vet today to ask the same question.)

Thank you,

Jenk

Nancy McClelland wrote:

Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers, Nancy.

At this point, the vet has told me to bump up the motility drugs back to twice daily. (I had recently reduced the current course of them to once daily.) I'm going to do this for five days, then go back to once daily, tapering her off.

But if her digestive tract continues to dry out as it has been, we might not havea choice but to put her on a maintenance regimen of sub-Qs and motility drugs. :(

Jenk

Latest posts

Back