Cost of fresh rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I am trying to offer my bunnies more and more fresh green food during the winter months as there is very little left in the garden for them to forage. I have calculated that it would cost me about 10 euro a day if I wanted to feed my six rabbits and one guinea pig a decent amount of fresh greens on a regular basis. I already spoil them with various types of imported hay and high quality (premium price) pellets. I just wonder is that mad or where would others draw a line when it comes to expenses?

When you are spending more to feed the bunnies each week/day than yourself. As well as if they are eating better than you or your diet has to compromise for them.

I don't know the conversion rate of Euros to Canadian dollars, so I can't really compare the cost, but it still seems like a lot. I would probably nor spend more than about $5-10 a day if I really wanted to do a lot of veggies. It would probably be less.

I was lucky to establish a relation with the produce department of a grocery store. I'm allowed to take discards and trimming to feed my rabbits. They eat outer leaves of lettuce, delery, cabbage, kale; blemished carrots, cucumber, peppers; wilted herbs, etc. I see noneed to feed them the high price stuff.

It does how ever takes me a long time to sort out the good stuff from the rotting garbage. However it would take me longer to earn the money required to buy the same amount of produce.

There is an organic market that used to throw out their trimmings but they started charging for it. Guess more people are using them for pet food specially during a recession.

I have started picking up the loose outer leaves in super markets as well and I have established a connection with one farmer on the weekly farmer's market who always gives me a bag of "rabbit leaves" most of the other organic stalls claim to have no fallen off leaves but i suspect they are just stingy. I wish i was organised enough myself to grow more veg. By the way i just came across an interesting link about veg for rabbits and guinea pigs
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/vegetableseeds.php

It is worth it to approach the manager of the produce department as many stores only want greens that look perfect to be on display. They may let you have the non-perfect greens although they should never be spoiled or on the verge of it.

I do understand the finances of this as I am attempting at this moment to support the veggie needs of not only my own rabbits but also those at my shelter and believe me it is not an easy task.

I do know that hay is the most important of all the foods for a bun so that doeshelps me a little if i think that I am giving less greens.

Baby Juliet wrote:
I was lucky to establish a relation with the produce department of a grocery store.
I go to Safeway twice a week, and pick up tons of food for the rabbits at the Humane Society. There is so much fruits and vegs, that it will feed 80+ rabbits for several days.

I buy at awhole sale place that has most of the greens that my rabbits like. I will buy stuff at Wegman's or Shoprite if I can't get it there. I spend around $50 a week.

Latest posts

Back