Confusion Regarding Veggies and Baby Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djakarta

Reaction score
My little fosters are now 1 month old. Theyfollow their mom, Miranda around the cage and pen. They easily hop inand out of the litterboxes. They appear to be using the litterboxes (!! ) , well most of the time. They still leave a lot ofpoo onthe floor. Their poo is increasing in size and appears to be normalconsistency.

They eat a variety of grass hays and alfalfa, pellets and veggies. Iusually give Miranda veggies 3-4 times a day: Romaine, red leaf, Kale,Cilantro (her favorite), Dandelion greens and the occasional carrot asa treat. The babies have nibbled on them all.

Now, I'm finding references that say baby bunnies shouldn't haveveggies until they are 4 months old and that there is a high mortalityrate due to intestinal upsets in the 2-4 month old babies.

The babies appear to be healthy and their poo appears to be normal, butnow I'm worried. Should I cut out the veggiesandfeed Miranda separately? I don't want to put the littleones at risk!

litterboxcopy.jpg

Standingcopy.jpg

willowballcopy.jpg

I've heard that too, but when Berri had herbabies we didn't stop giving her veggies. I think the babies would haveate some of it but they are now six months old and don't seemed to havesuffered for it!:DNot sure, but I think as long as they don'tget a lot they should be okay. Maybe someone with experience is goingto say that's wrong, who knows!

Hope I've helped!

I have always fed my babies what the momma gets.

Try to give a few days inbetween each new veggy to watch for any digestive problems, like runny poos.

I haven't had a problem so far. You just need to keep a closeeye on the babies poop, which it sounds like you are doing.

I would continue to feed as you have been doing so far, I think they will be fine.

--Dawn

You (and the bunnies!) are doing justfine. There is no reason not to feed bunnies greens as longas diet changes are done slowly. Bunnies whose mothers areused to a diet of greens will have no problems.

The reason it is advised not to feed bunnies greens comes from the factthat sudden diet changes can be fatal and many baby bunnies have notbeen raised on a diet of greens. When the previous diet isunknown, it is certainly better to be safe than sorry.Bunnies can die a very horrible death when they have gorged themselveson greens for the first time.

Pam

Ok, thanks. I was worried that I'd donesomething wrong. I didn't realize that there was such a high mortalityrate at such a late age. I guess I thought it was when the babies wereso helpless in the nest, that they would be the most vulnerable.

Latest posts

Back