Colours/Colors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Bracon~

Reaction score
Random question. If you breed two rabbits e.g. black and blue. Would you be able to predict the colours? Sounds like a bit of a stupid question really, would they be similar to the parents? Im asking so many questions tonight lol

If you had the history of both buns and knew enough about genetics you could probably predict what they might be.

Otherpeople might be able to make an educated guess from looking at the parents, but other, more knowledgeable people, could make an accurate guess, if that makes sense.

If you're talking about Warren and Bracon, my guess would be you'd get mostly black otter babies or self blacks. You could also get other colours depending on the genes but because we don't know any of the history of their parentage, it's a bit of a guessing game.

Hoping someone smarter comes along :D.

this is what i am trying to learn lol try being the optimum word here

I had a black self buck, his parents were chocolate and agouti, i mated him to Squishy and got 1 silver (billy) and 2 blue

mated to Miffy (REW) i got a black and a blue both self

Mated to Dorie i got 3 agouti

So it depends on the colours of all the family back down the line, and what colours are dominent.

But mating black and blue you would get more blacks and blues i think Pam and Peg are really good at this:D

polly wrote:
this is what i am trying to learn lol try being the optimum word here

I had a black self buck, his parents were chocolate and agouti, i mated him to Squishy and got 1 silver (billy) and 2 blue

mated to Miffy (REW) i got a black and a blue both self

Mated to Dorie i got 3 agouti

So it depends on the colours of all the family back down the line, and what colours are dominent.

But mating black and blue you would get more blacks and blues i think Pam and Peg are really good at this:D

lol, when you say it like that, it all sounds really random.

Mine have always been pretty obvious.

A black butterfly and a black otter made three black butterflies, one black otter butterfly, one balck otter, and 2 black selfs (which were prevalent on both sides in the past).

A pure bred black butterfly with a REW got four black butterflies.

A black butterfly with a REW got one REW and one butterfly(colour unknown).

Mind you though, years ago we did an orange lynx with a black butterfly and got one orange lynx, one blue self and one sable.

I find this fascinating, and I wish I knew more, but I don't understand, lol.

lol it is a bit it was interesting to mate him with different colours to see what we got.

Squishy is black otter and her parents were a silver martin and a blck otter

Dorie was agouti and i have been told it is really dominent.

It really can depend what is further back down the line.

There are many genes involved in producing a rabbit's fur color and coat pattern. These genes act in a predictable manner, so when armed with enough information, breeding results can often be predicted.

In the example of breeding black x blue, if the pair is homozygous in all gene series, all the offspring will be black. However, most rabbits are generally not completely homozygous and can carry many recessive genes.

The first gene series is "A" (agouti). Both black and blue are homozygous recessive "aa", so cannot produce any tan pattern "At" or agouti "A" offspring.

The second gene series is "B" (brown). The recessive is chocolate "b". Both black and blue can carry the recessive gene, so can produce chocolate as well as lilac offspring if both rabbits also carry blue.

The third gene series is a little more complex. Both black and blue are dominant "C" for full color. The other recessive genes in the series eliminate red in the coat and can also reduce black to some degree. The "cchd" dark chinchilla gene produces the chinchilla coat pattern when in combination with the agouti gene "A". "cchl" shaded produces colors such as sable or sable point when in combination with the non-extension "ee" gene. The next gene in the "C" series is "ch" himalayan which limits color to the points and removes all pigment from the eyes. The last "C" series gene is albino "c". The black and the blue rabbit can carry any of the above recessive genes, so could potentially produce colors such as sable, seal, pointed white, ruby-eyed white, and sable point.

The fourth gene series is easy - "D" full color, "d" dilute (blue). The blue rabbit is homozygous "dd". A black rabbit can carry recessive "d". If it does, the black x blue combination could produce blue as well as black rabbits.

The 5th gene series is another complex one. "Es" is the dominant steel gene. Blue and Black are normal "E". "ej" is the brindling gene that produces the harlequin coat and "e" restricts black in the coat producing the tort color. Both black and blue can carry the brindling gene as well as the non-extension gene, so bred together could produce a harlequin coat or tortoises.

There are also coat pattern genes including Dutch marked, English Spotting, Silvering, Blue-eyed white, and Wide Band.

So, to answer your original question, black x blue could potentially produce black, blue, chocolate, lilac, seal, sable, albino, pointed white, tortoise, smoke pearl, or sable point.

If we are familiar with the rabbits ancestors as well as any offspring the rabbit has produced, we can further refine the possibilities because we can fill in some of the "blanks" as to what recessive genes the rabbits may carry.

Check out my coat color website for lots of photos and info!

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/coat_colors1.html

Pam

polly wrote:
lol it is a bit it was interesting to mate him with different colours to see what we got.

Squishy is black otter and her parents were a silver martin and a blck otter

Dorie was agouti and i have been told it is really dominent.

It really can depend what is further back down the line.

The order of dominance in the A series is: "A" agouti, "At" tan pattern, "a" self.

An agouti rabbit could be homozygous "AA" or could recessively carry tan pattern or self.

Silver Martens are tan pattern "At", so could be homozygous "At" or could carry self.

Agouti bred to self could produce tan pattern if the agouti carries the "At" gene. Could also produces selfs if carrying "a".

A homozygous Agouti "AA" can only produce agoutis.

Pam

You aren't planning to breed them, are you? I thought they were both purchased from pet stores?

I honestly wouldn't trust breeding pet store rabbits. You never know what type of health issue lays ahead :?.

polly wrote:

We were going to experiment with the Dopeys (BEWs). We were going to breed one with Sky (black butterfly) and one with Badger (vienna marked black) to see what we got.

Pam, that info is GREAT, thanks. And, shock horro, I understood it, lol.

I know the explanation wasn't for my benefit, but thanks :D

The normal gene in thevienna series "V" (blue eyed white) does not fully mask the effects of the recessive "v" which produces blue eyed white. This can result in some unusual piebald coat patterns and blue or blue spotted eyes. A vienna marked sport bred to a BEW will produce some sports and some BEW.

Pam

Back