colour Genetics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat70

Reaction score
Hi,

Just starting to look at Colour genetics a bit confusing.

I have a REW buck , not totally pink eyes , they are half blue .His dad was Agouti all his siblings blue eyed Rew.

I have a Doe Blue dont know what her parents or other litters colours.

I aim to breed what colours will i get ??

We'll clarify some terminology to make this less confusing :) In the US, we call a blue-eyed white rabbit a "BEW" and a ruby-eyed white rabbit a "REW". We'll assume that you are referring to "BEW", but need to keep an open mind that you may have genetic frosties with bluish eyes.

If you breed what you believe is a BEW to a blue, I think you'll most likely get some chestunts and chestnut mismarks because the BEW's sire was agouti.

I generally recommend using BEW's and BEW sports for the purpose of breeding BEWs only and not mix them with other colors.

If the buck you have is a genetic REW, and you breed to blue, I also think the chances are very high that you'll get chestnut agoutis.

Pam

Hi,

Its so confusing i tried to look on charts on how to work it all out but it's baffled me.

I call him a REW as the centre of his eyes are pink , the outside are a very pale blue.The rest of the litter were BEW , hence why i got him as the others were show buns and he didnt fit because of his eye colour.

I know his dad was a Chestnut colour , havnt a clue of his mother.

As for the doe she is brown eyed and all Blue .Her dad was Steel sort of chestnut.

They are all pure bred Giant buns.

Ive heard there are charts on the net to work out colour genetics do you know of any that are simple to use

Hi,

Thanks for that site so much easier than some i have come across .Im just curious as to what colours the little ones will be .

Latest posts

Back