Color question for Pam or others who know

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
In the last edition of Mane Musings (thelionhead club newsletter) it seems to be that I remember reading thatit is harder to get the correct type of fur on a REW (ruby/red eyedwhite) than it is the other colors. I don't remember why that wasthough - it had to do with the texture.

Art & I were talking this last weekend about the fact that in2010 I want to pull a COD (Certificate of Development - for 2 colors)and we were wondering if it would be easier to get BEW (blue eyedwhite) passed because you won't have issues with shading like you wouldwith chocolate or siamese sable, etc.

But then I remembered that article....so I thought I'd ask.

If I remember right, Netherland Dwarfs or something else has BEWsnow....is the fur really a different texture? Or is it just somethingthat has to do with lionheads?

I figure I have three years to come to a decision - and then 3 years indevelopment - but the earlier we can come to some decisions...thelonger we'll have to develop our lines close to the standard for type,mane and color.

Peg

P.S. The colors we're considering are:

BEW
Black Otter
Chinchilla
Chocolate
Chocolate Otter
Frosted Pearl
Siamese Sable

I'm sort of leaning towards black otter and chocolate BUT I love BEWand Siamese sable too - and Siamese sable will become an orphan colorif Arden Wetzel gets the breed passed...

Ok, I don't know this as a professional, merely as an owner of both BEWs, REWs and 'normal' unwhite bunnies, lol.

I have not noticed a difference in their fur type, but that is comingfrom someone who is not overly experienced with stuff likethat. The texture is the same to touch as some of my otherbuns, but again, this is to an untrained hand.

Having said that, they do moult differently from our other buns, so I guess it is possible.

lol, what a pointless reply, sorry.

I've noticed in some breeds, the BEW lines mayhave a rather soft or cottony texture. The English Angoras Ihandled were very cottony and the Polish BEWs often have soft coats.

The white Beverens also had a tendency towards a longer, softer coatthan the other colors. And, haven't really seen a good coaton a BEW Netherland.

Breeds with rollback coats are softer anyhow, so there's not as much of a difference in those coats.

Pam

Latest posts

Back