Cocoa only likes oat hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
I have always given Cocoa timothy hay and usually another type - mainly orchard grass. About a week ago I got some oat hay for him, which I have never given him before. He ate it right away when I gave him a piece so I was happy that he liked it!

But now the past few days I have noticed that he still has hay in his bin in the morning, usually it is all gone by then. And I also notice that all the oat hay is gone, but a lot of timothy hay is left. What is going on? Why does he seem to prefer the oat hay now and not like the timothy as much? I am worried that he is not eating as much hay as he used to.

Hi,

Let Cocoa have at it. Oat hay is just another grass hay like timothy, orchard grass, brome, etc. Oat hay is very high in fiber. I do like them to have a variety of hay since each has a different texture and that requires a different chewing mechanism and that wears the teeth down properly. Try different brands and different cuts of hay...timothy can have up to three cuttings. But there is nothing wrong with eating oat hay.

Randy

Back