Clusters of dry skin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Milo, one of my collegues at works rabbit has dry clusters of skin on his back. it looks like a severe case of dandruff but its quite thick and not all over him, mainly at the base of his neck. He's currently being fed that horrible supermarket pellet with colorful buts and seeds in it :grumpy: I'm bringing her some plain pellets tomorrow which I will help transfer him slowly onto. He gets carrot and iceberg lettuce :shock: strangely enough he gets runny poos from eating this wonderful diet! Im thinking diet would have something to do with the dry skin.??

Hes a 4yr old male un-neutered minilop, shes thinking about getting him neutered though :biggrin2: He doesn't appear to have mites or anything but he does have patchy fur....He lives outside but runs round in their courtyard all day and is inside his hutch at night. Im creating her a booklet tonight about basic bunny care with foods etc, she loves him loads and he's a great rabbit but I think she's just oblivious to what she's doing to him and was shocked when I told her how bad his diet was.

So if anyone has any ideas for the dry skin please share lol. Or any ideas for what should go in this booklet that would be grand!:) Sorry for the ramble and this not being a strictly infirmary post:)

My only experiences with mites have been those little red ones, now that you say that and the patchy fur it sounds exactly like fur mites.
No shes not very knowledgeable sp? at all so i've decided to take her on and get her rabbit crazy hehe, she's very willing to learn but she usually asks for something and gets it without needing to research the animal whereas I had to research research before I ever got a pet of any sort.
Thanks very much for that thread, its an interesting read :D

Edited to fix spelling although it's still not all fixed haha.

Angieluv is right. Fur mites look like dandruff/patchy skin and it especially sounds like fur mites if he has patchy fur. He needs to see a vet before the mites get even worse. :?

bailey had fur mites and he had flaky patchy skin to start with , they are a nightmare to get rid of as well has been nearly 8 weeks now back and forth from the vets and we are only just getting it under control

If the rabbit is losing fur in patches, it could be Mange which is easily spread from one animal to another. Vets stock special shampoos for smaller pets with this, there must be rabbit treatments also (perhapsin powder form as rabbits hate baths).

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back