Clover cut his bad leg......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Clover is our baby cottontail that was attacked by a dog and his leg had a hole in it but it healed. His hip seems out of place (after he was with us for a couple of months it showed up) from where that all went on but he does really well and we figure it is more stressful to have him go to the vet and he probably wouldn't do well if they had to fix it.

Anyhow - tonight, he somehow caught his leg in the cage and has skinned the back of it. He never screamed, cried out, or anything. He's hopping around like a champ and just holds it up a bit.

Clover HATES to be picked up and messed with other than being pet sometimes.

Should I put anything on it? should I wrap it (it's not bleeding bad but it seems all the hide is gone - at least from what I can see)....

He's cleaned it and he doesn't seem upset - he ate, and even binkied.

I'm worried tho. :(

I'm no expert, but I think you should leave it. Fussing with it probably would cause more stress. I'd just keep an eye on it for any sign of infection (Swollen, puss, icky looking, ect). Someone could probably tell you something you could use to maybe clean it? But I think it would be fine to just leave and heal on it's own.

That's sort of how I feel - and looking closer at it - I'm not so sure it wasn't a long abcessed area from where he had the puncture wound - if an abcess could last that long?

It looks as if it's trying to heal already (skin sort of turns in on the edges) and the hide that was hanging off almost looks old and dead. He's actually more playful and happy today than he's ever been! So maybe he feels better.

I found an article on a bunny with exactly his problem from the hip and at 3 years old they did surgery on him. He was much larger and did fine. I think we'll take him to the vet in a few months to have it evaluated. He doesn't even weigh a pound I bet since he's still so tiny. LONG but skinny.

Thanks for your reply Spring. I was really upset and worried. I feel a bit better now but I will keep a close eye on it like you suggest.

I hate not knowing what to do. :(

Abscesses are major problems in rabbits, and they rarely show signs that they're ailing when they have one.

But it certainly would be stressful to hold him and put Neosporin on it or dab the edges with peroxide, which are the common 'wound' treatments to ward off infection.

Best bet is not the easiest thing to arrange, but if on the off-chance that you know a vet that makes house calls (who won't care that you're housing a wild cottontail), it would be safer to have somebody who can tell if it's infected take a look at it.

Hope he's okay. :clover:

sas

Maybe if someone holds a treat infront of him to distract him you can put a little neosporin on the wound to help it heal? He should be distracted enough to dab a bit on.

I don't know how they dectect if it's in abcess in rabbits? Do they do a skin scrape or something? I hope it's just a little cut and nothing serious!

I think usually abcesses will show up as a lump or something but if this was running down his leg, it could be we just didn't notice - he is very quick! lol.

I think I am going to put something on it tonight. He loves Lexi so maybe she can manage to hold him while I put something on his leg. He loves cheek rubs - it's just getting him to understand that he's going to get those if he would just hold still a minute! :jumpforjoy:

I'll let you know.

I also had to clean Bo's little ------- scent gland area?...... he was really dirty and I didn't know it. :( My poor boys!

Aww, poor little Clover. However, it doesn't sound as though it's bothering him too much. Keeping it clean to stop infection is the main thing. Good luck with putting something on it. Oh, and isn't cleaning the scent glands a wonderful job! :yuck

Jan

Oh boy, it's just a blast! :?

I also have the joy of a bunny who doesn't trance.... :disgust:

Latest posts

Back