Cleaning rabbit fleecys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Rufu and Fluff bum have the foam kiddy playsquares covered in polarfleece as their floor, works very well for us besides one thing. The hair, it C-L-I-N-G-S to everything. They get them changed weekly and then they go in a pail waiting to run out to have them all washed together. My problem is when I wash them the fur goes alllll through the washing machine and then proceeds to cling to whatevers in the next 2-3 washes (which is quite often Mum's black work clothes :nonono:) I used to try and de-hair them before I washed them but having to do that before and after and on blankets that are rather large gets quite time consuming. I know there are other peeps on here who use fleece, so what do you do and find that works??

ANYTHING is appreciated, I swear I've spent my last 3 paychecks on lint rollers :p

:ponder:im glad im not the only one who has this problem:D. i use fleeces for my rexes and choc labradors and still havent found a way to get the fur out of the washing machine. if i wash at the start of the week, by saturday when i wash daughters' white:X school blouses then im quite safe,,,,every so often hubby pulls out the machine, semi dismantles it and we remove the fluff that had worked it's way thru.

i have tried putting the fleeces etc into a pillowcase, but find that this bunches them up too much and they dont wash that clean:p. just have to put it thru again

i am also keeping the english lint roller industry going:biggrin2::D

I think combined all the lint rollers RO-ers go through we would keep the lint roller industry alive haha. I've been doing a bit of googling and it seems there could be some form of lint balls? I'm keeping on hunting tho :)

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Our washer is old and weird and the fur stays in the bin where the stuff is watched xD So... we just wipe it out.

wish mine was like that! you have to count the socks that go in as they have a habit of ending up in the pipework of the thing:X

Here in the US we have these "reusable" lint rollers. Its got some sort of fabric on it that pulls up hair...its like velvety fabric. Maybe you can research and see if you have those in NZ?

I use towels for Morgan and I just shake them off outside....but there's a whoooole lotta shakin' goin' on :laughsmiley:.

Go to the pet store and buy a fish net, any size will do.

When you put them in the washer wait for the wash cycle to be almost complete and then open the lid..lots of hair should be floating around. Use your net to scoop it out. I do this with rabbit and cat beds works very well, decreases "hair residue" by about 85% at least!:biggrin2:

Hope this helps!!

If you have a separate dryer, you can add a fabric softener sheet. Those are pretty good at getting fur off clothes. I have a washer/dryer combo (one machine, it both washes and dries), so I can't add a dryer sheet at the beginning of the cycle--that's the wash cycle. The fur and gunk just sticks to the sides and the rubber seal around the door.

Amy the reusable things are like a paddle and they have a button which can swap the velvety heads direction? We have one of them, but I'm not sure if its just our one but it fails, epically haha - just smears all the hair over, I might go buy a new one see if it works :) I think mine just fail as I'm jealous of all your hair free fleeces in photos hehe.

I actually have a fish net!! I will try it very soon when I put them on, thanks!!

Tonyshuman - What are dryer sheets, I actually covet the washing isle in the supermarket and don't think they exist here :(

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm hoping to have blankets that with rival Amy:p

those dryer sheets are good - we have them here under the brand name 'bounce' they make the washing smell extra fresh and reduce static on static-prone items. this is one of those threads that i ask myself why i didnt post it:p

my machine has a door that opens in the front - not a top loader - these arent so common here:D

im going to have another look at the 'washing aisle' in my local supermarkets. anything that stops the fur coating the next few washes is fine by me!

great post:biggrin2:

I think my aunty may of used them when she lived in the US as I remember her mentioning them, I just called supermarket and they like didn't have a clue what I was talking about Grrrr! Yeah it's the exact opposite here, top loaders are the majority - but front loaders are making a comeback! Where getting one when this machine dies, totally excited haha - I love washing machines :p

Hey you're lucky if you have a washing machine! We don't have one of our own and have to go to the laundromat to do laundry.

I just wash all the pet stuff separately. The animals have their own hamper and anything of theirs (rabbit fleece/beds, and the dogs blankets and toys) gets washed together, not with our clothes. When I put them in the drier I also use dryer sheets, and most of the time they come out of the drier with only a very small amount of fur on them still, or if I'm lucky none!

Back