Chippy - GI issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chippy's doing very good today.

She was so impatient and excited at breakfast that she nosed open the pen door, jumped out, and ran over to let me know I wasn't moving fast enough to suit her.
I didn't even know she had gotten out until I felt two tiny paws on my leg and looked down to see her little fuzzy face......must be the papaya:biggrin2:

I need to run to the Farmers Market tomorrow morning for stuff for the Super Bowl menu...I'll pick up some mint, dandelion greens, and an orange or 2 for Chippy.

So, hopefully, this is over! I'm so glad for you and Chippy. And her new menu sounds de-li-ci-ous!!!!

Marietta

Is it ok to take away the salt lick during gi issues? Penny just ran into some gi issues, she likes her salt lick, but doesn't drink any water right now. So I took it away. Was that a good idea?

Actually, salt licks aren't needed at all;). Buns get their value of nutrients from pellets and hay:D.Also from veggies given how they're given, everyone has their own schedule of when they feed veggies;).

(So, salt licks honestly not needed at all, and a waste, really:?.)

AngelnSnuffy is right. The salt licks are supposed to provide the rabbit with minerals, electrolytes and -some of them- vitamins, but, in reality, it is a waste of money, it doesn't do the bunny any good and it's also an out of date supplement, as vets have stopped suggesting salt licks for young rabbits years ago. It is, actually, not needed at all, since all the bunny's organism needs is in his daily food.

Marietta

Thanks guy,

I was just afraid if it would upset her stomach in anyway.

I had it in because if Penny had a tooth problem she would lick the salt lick, so it made it easier for me to isolate the problem. She always had enough water to balance it out, but when going into a bit of a blockage she stopped drinking water. So I removed it.

Now I'm not sure if I should keep it away or put it back in.

Yesterday morning Chippy looked really bad again.
She didn't want anything to do with breakfast....except for the papaya.
She hadn't drank much water.
Her litter pan was full of soft mushy poops.

I gave her a handful of hay and she nibbled at it, but then went back and hunched in her corner.

Last night she looked a little better, but still hadn't eaten or drank much.

I tried tempting her with dandelion greens.... no good.
I tried fresh mint..... no good.
I tried a fresh slice of orange..... can bunnies make uggie faces?

She just sat hunched in her corner.
No grinding teeth, but I could tell she was uncomfortable.
I wanted to rub her tummy, but she nipped me every time I tried.

I gave her dinner and she ate the papaya, some sunflower seeds, and then went back to her corner.

I was sure we were headed to the vet this morning.

When I got up, I went to check on her first thing.
All the hay is gone, pellets are gone, water is almost finished.
Poops look much better.
And a happy, bouncing bunny greets me at the pen door.
Go figure.

She danced around the whole time I was filling food bowls, and tucked right in when I gave her breakfast. I don't think she even noticed that I forgot to give her some papaya.

arrgh

Aww, the first part of that post had me really worried...

But I'm glad to hear that she seems better now!

Get well soon Chippy- and stay that way! :)

Jen xx

mouse_chalk wrote:
Get well soon Chippy- and stay that way! :)

Jen xx

Thanks Jen,

I wish she could get the "and stay that way!" part.

It seems like this happens at least once a week.....the epitome of "chronic" :?

~Jim

PS- Hope you're feeling better, too!!

JimD, what a heart attack! We can never just stay calm with them for a change, huh? I'm so glad Chippy is back to normal. And, yes, Chippy STAY THAT WAY!!!!! (loud!!!)

Marietta

Hey Jim, what good does the Mintdo? Jackie is a little under the weather so i bought some fresh mint, I will try to give her some later. She's such a fussy eater though she probably won't eat it.

Thanks

Susan:)

I think my Gabriel has the hotot gene (he's the avatar) as he started pooping really small poops last weekend instead of his big humongous gross ones. he also was not eating all his pellets.

5 days after (and a vet visit he is pooping better (and eating better ) but is still not producing the volume of poop that is normal for him.
The problem with gabriel is that I just worked months to get him over his biting problems and now with all the force feeding and meds he is beginning to get revengeful again.

The x-ray of his gut showed a full stomach and intestine but absolutely no bloat or gas which the vet found unusual. I think that I caught it early.

Anyway I hope that Chippy continues to be do OK and we'll hope that gabriel pulls out of this because my home has turned into an animal hospital.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hey Jim, what good does the Mintdo? Jackie is a little under the weather so i bought some fresh mint, I will try to give her some later. She's such a fussy eater though she probably won't eat it.

Thanks

Susan:)

Hi Susan,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

....here's the advice Randy gave...

ra7751 wrote:
Hi Jim,

.....I bet some fresh mint would make her belly feel a lot better. We only have one market around here that carries it and the fresh plant is not the cheapest greens in the world...but it is worth every penny.

Randy
Chippy wouldn't go near the mint, though.
It's a brand new item for her.....as was the orange that she wouldn't touch either.

angieluv wrote:
I think my Gabriel has the hotot gene

Here's Chippy when she's a happy....our little goth-tot

IMG_1996.jpg

We're beginning to think that Chippy's GI tract may have been damaged in some way....possibly from the Clostridium.

Having 2 litters at the pet store, before she was 4 months old, probably didn't help either.

angieluv wrote:

he started pooping really small poops last weekend instead of his big humongous gross ones. he also was not eating all his pellets.

5 days after (and a vet visit he is pooping better (and eating better ) but is still not producing the volume of poop that is normal for him.

These are the poops from her last serious bout....

IMG_2070.jpg

angieluv wrote:
The problem with gabriel is that I just worked months to get him over his biting problems and now with all the force feeding and meds he is beginning to get revengeful again.

Chippy had an aggression problem when we first got her....and still does from time to time.
Especially if she has even the slightest idea that I might be trying to administer any meds/fluids/pumpkin/etc.
Here's the result of me just trying to get a better feel of her tummy the other night....

IMG_2096.jpg

angieluv wrote:
Anyway I hope that Chippy continues to be do OK and we'll hope that gabriel pulls out of this because my home has turned into an animal hospital.
Thanks for the well wishes...I'll pass them on to Chippy!

ra7751 wrote:
Something that is better than acidophilus is a bacterial strain known as Lactobacillus Casei. It is easy to obtain in a product called Bene-Bac. Might be worth a try. Keep up the good work!!

Randy
I've got a pack of Bene-bac one-shots stashedin my "Bunnie Box";)
Any advice on dosage?

ra7751 wrote:
I usually do about a gram or so a day....a little more for larger buns.

Randy

Chippy's about 4+ lbs.

The one-shots are a gram per tube,,,,makes it easy.

IMG_2099.jpg

Hey Jim here's another dumb question. Are you syringing the pumpkin?

Jackie is really starting to hate Chris & I as we have be syringing Critical care and Ovol. She just drank a bit of water thank goodness.

Susan

I like all these pictures of hotot poop :D
Right now Gabriel's poop is mostly a small to normal size and less of it.
His NORMAL poop is abnormal looking but I'm hoping that he will get back to that because it is his norm.
He is really getting angry with me because of the meds ..I have to hold his head tight as he turns his head to the left and tries to get my hand.

When his poop gets back to his abnormal normal I'll post pics of them they are gross.
I also should try to get bene-bac into him but it is truly a challenge .........
100_0609.jpg

This the scar from the infamous bite several months ago

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hey Jim here's another dumb question. Are you syringing the pumpkin?

Jackie is really starting to hate Chris & I as we have be syringing Critical care and Ovol. She just drank a bit of water thank goodness.

Susan

Firstly....never a dumb question, 'cept for the one that's not asked!

I only use pumpkin as a last resort. I prefer to stick as close to Chippy's normal diet as possible. Pumpkin is not something she normaly gets, and may cause problems because of that. Critical Care would be my first choice.
When I have used pumpkin, I have syringed it. I usually thin it a bit first to make it easier to syringe.

I hope Jackie gets feeling better soon!

Latest posts

Back