Chic and functional hay baskets!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I was looking for something for the bunny litter box but came across these beauties instead!

WireBasketsS10

Crate and Barrel has them for $13 and $16 bucks depending on if you get the large or small. The small is a little bigger than the wire basket that I currently have, which was purchased from IKEA in the bathroom/shower section of the store. If/when my new rabbit gets the hang of using her litter box or perhaps when my bonded pair is officially "bonded", I might spring for the large.

The reason I like this one better than the Ikea one is that it's really quite heavy. The wire is made of some metal that has a good amount of weight in it so the bunny won't be tossing it about. You can choose to fix it in place with a zip tie as well. It has a nice flat back, perfect for placing it against a cage or a wall.

It's not a huuuge rack that you can fill and leave alone for days. You'll probably need to refill it once every 1-2 days still, but I do like it's longer shape for the nice longer pieces of hay, that way I don't have to hold the hay into the basket for the buns!

Ooo, I like that! Too bad I just got a new rack for the buns. I found a shower rack thing at BB&B, similar to the one I had for just Otto, but it's made to fit in the corner. It sits well on the ground too since it has a wide base and can't be tipped over easily. And the suction cups were easy to get off.

Nice! Will definitely look into it when we build Baci his new home.

However I do need ideas now. Since the girls rarely go into their cage now, only for the litter box, do you have any suggestions for hay out on the floor? We are currently using a flat basket but the girls are flipping it over constantly.

I really like my Ikea ones because they have a little "dish" that sits in the base of them that catches a lot of the dusty hay parts. I wish these had that, as bigger hay bins would be awesome.

hln917 wrote:
However I do need ideas now. Since the girls rarely go into their cage now, only for the litter box, do you have any suggestions for hay out on the floor? We are currently using a flat basket but the girls are flipping it over constantly.
I do, actually!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60177246 - solid bottom, a little bit small.
0108699_PE258319_S3.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10120021 - I saw this in person and I was *so excited* but I don't have the space yet for it.
13460_PE093205_S3.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90076364 - Here's another idea, but the height and the solidity of the bin makes me wonder if the buns might have trouble getting to the hay.
37787_PE098086_S3.jpg

Thanks Helen! You are quite the shopper. I should come to you first for my shopping ideas. I decided to build the girls one yesterday from some scrap wood. So far it's doing the job.

0501002139.jpg

Hehe thanks. I am embarrassed to admit that I actually don't like clothing shopping but I do love shopping for other stuff (home stuff and food stuff :biggrin2:) and for some reason my brain is always thinking about how to apply products to my bunnies. My husband says to me "why are we always shopping for bunny stuff?"

I still marvel at the nice big crate you made, Helen! I'm not good at building stuff, so shopping conquests will have to do ;)

Latest posts

Back