Chewing Wires

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darfi

Reaction score
Okay, my fluffy friend Isis is a female Hollond Lop whose favorite chew toy is my cables and wires. I love having my two rabbits (my male doesn't chew the wires) out to play together but I find it's such a danger even when I do my best to hide the wires in boxes and under tape and whatever else I can do in my apt.

Any suggestions to deter this from happening?

Computer companies and auto parts stores sell wire covers that sometimes help. I've also seen that some people use those shower curtain rod covers, pvc pipe.... It's very important to get those things where she can't get to them. We've had people lose their bunnies to such things.

I would add more, but Bo Bo Bunny covered it completely. :)

And she's right, it's not worth them being ready and out there for buns to get a hold of...too many have indeed been lost that way...:(

If you go into any electronic store, or the electronic section of bigger stores like walmart, or canadian tire they have cord cover available....

I was able to get it in bigger quantities at ikea...it was really cheap, and it saved all of our wires at home...Also try Home Depot, or Rona. They have cord covers as well, or really thin tubing you can slit on one side, and push the wires through....

We have 3 hollands, and they all love to chew and rip and bite too :D

I use split loom tubing, as has been mentioned above - you can get it at most big-box hardware stores (in electrical department), or at Radio Shack, etc.

It looks like what you see in the photo below, except that the standard color is black:

wireloom-image.jpg

I needed something really heavy-duty for our cable wires because they are Pipkin's favorite munchable. I purchased hard plastic tubing that's used in aquariums. I bought the longest length and then cut pieces to size with a saw. It was wide enough for any type of wire and too hard for him to bite through. Some of the softer wire covering options just were not protective enough.

I knew there was something really cool someone had gotten! it's you! That fish tank tubing (you could also get the stuff for plumbing that is like that) is an AWESOME idea. Seems economical too!

Okay i'll have to look at WalMart or Home Hardware here for that. My problem however is that my cable wires for my TV, internet and digital phone are screwed into the floor in the angle of the wall and floor. I can't lift it to cover it. The wires that are under my puter desk are many and bulky. It's pretty awkward wiring around here. One lady once suggested smearing vaseline on the cords....I dunno about that.

Darfi wrote:
Okay i'll have to look at WalMart or Home Hardware here for that. My problem however is that my cable wires for my TV, internet and digital phone are screwed into the floor in the angle of the wall and floor. I can't lift it to cover it. The wires that are under my puter desk are many and bulky. It's pretty awkward wiring around here. One lady once suggested smearing vaseline on the cords....I dunno about that.

You could try bitter apple spray or a product called Fooey! The stuff tastes awful...trust me...

Would there be a way to "build" something to cover those wires that are screwed in? Not sure what...just a thought. If I come up with an idea, I'll let you know.

-Mary Ellen

I have my TV and stereo blocked off so that my bun can't get to the wires. That might be your solution, for one area, at least.

are you talking like you couldn't slip the wires through the tube? .... we cut the tubing down one side..... so that it is split and you can wrap the tubing over the wire.

Hadn't thought of slittinga tube, it'd be tricky cuz of how tight the cord is to the floor and having to cut it just right to get over the screwed in bits but it's worth trying I think. I could also try that bad tasting stuff too. Good ideas!

Blocking off any area of my home besides bedrooms is not possible though, I have an apartment and the TV area is basically the entire living area. I also have a 3 year old daughter so blocking stuff off wouldn't last much.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back