Chewing Sound

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
Hi! When I pet Wrigley he makes achewing sound a lot of the time. Is that normal? Iheard teeth chattering means their in pain, but It's more like achewing sound and he only does it when I pet him...Is this a bad thing?

Jenn

Hi I don't know what you mean exactly by chewingsound but if it's a sort of gentle grinding of his teeth that's usuallythe same thing as a cat purring. It means he's happy :).

Kate

Rowan wrote:
Hi Idon't know what you mean exactly by chewing sound but if it's a sort ofgentle grinding of his teeth that's usually the same thing as a catpurring. It means he's happy :).

Kate

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it...a gentle grinding. It's nice to know that he's happy!

Thanks for your help! :D

Jenn

Yep, I love to hear Bo do this. He's always loving his petting.

Sometimes they will actually get a clicking going. It's notthe faint grinding but it's still really soft... like they arechattering their teeth.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Yep, I love to hear Bo do this. He's always lovinghis petting.

Sometimes they will actually get a clicking going. It's notthe faint grinding but it's still really soft... like they arechattering their teeth.
My Ben used to do the chattering, I miss it so much, it was a wonderfulsound and he would just lay there looking like he was in heaven.

Fergi's mom

Both Iszy and Lenci grind their teeth when I pettheir heads...Lenci more so. I'm pretty sure it's a sign ofcontentment. :)

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
When Rats do this, it's called Bruxing. It means a rat isvery happy and content. I would think that this would be the same forrabbits, too....
The Missus and I made up the word, chucking, to describe thatpleasant chattering of teeth. Sometimes, it'll sound like a"chuck" sound, very slowly, with time passing between segments.

I wonder if bruxing applies to rabbits, too. Seems tome there should be a better word to describe it than"grindng." We all know they can "grind" their teeth in pain,too, so all the more reason to have a special word to describe the the"happy" process.

Anyone ever hear of bruxing applied to rabbits?

Buck

Bub never makes chewing noises--er, unless he'schewing something!--but Izzy and Pandemonium both do. They will chewsoftly, then stop, then do it again, etc. But one time I heard my lateMinnie do that chattering thing. It did sound like a purr!

That's weird Bo purrs. I have never had a purring boy, just the girls. The boys never sit still long enough to get petted.

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
That's weird Bo purrs. I have never had a purring boy, just the girls. The boys never sit still long enough to get petted.

Rose
OMG! Bo is a huge lovebug! Even as a baby the vet was sotickled when he would hop from the scales to my arms and lay his headdown on my shoulder!

He will sit for hours and let you pet him and rub his ears and cheeks.

He also likes to be petted the opposite way of normal. Start from the tail and pet up to his head......

What can I say? I have a strange little bunny boy! LOL

Cinnamon has a very shortattention span. He will hop up on the sofa with my husbandand me and let us pet his head and cheeks and will be verycontent. 5 minutes later he is down and hopping aroundagain.

As far as the teeth grinding, he does that a lot whenvery mellow and comfy. My birds do it too when they arecontent (relaxing, getting ready to sleep). It iscute.

Latest posts

Back