CHECK your fire alarms in your barns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I am crying as I write this and I've decided tobring it to the rabbitry because some of y'all might need to check yourfire alarms for new batteries or consider getting sprinkler systems orwhatever.

The lionhead community has just suffered a devastating loss. One of ourtop breeders, Mossy Possum Farms, just had a fire in their barn andthey lost ALL of their rabbits, their cages and even their carriers.There is some question about babies in the nestboxes and if they willsurvive (I'm guessing they're looking for mamas to foster in the area).

Mind you - their doe took Best of Breed at ARBA convention in FortWorth last month...and they also had a doe sell for $750 at the auctionat Lionhead Nationals last year.

And its all been wiped out by a fire.

So if your rabbitry is in a barn or some sort of enclosure like that -please go check the wiring - make sure you have fire alarms in there -and do whatever you can to protect the animals.

Peg

Oh No! That's awful! Poor buns! :( Rest In Peace.

I don't own a rabbitry, but you've certainly inspired me to startthinking of an escape plan for me and my rabbit, Ollie, in case of afire.

I hope those poor babies survive :(

:pink iris:RIP Little Buns:pink iris:

It looks like they lost the babies too.

I've been sitting here crying ever since I heard. Needless to say, thelionhead community will get with them and breeders will be helping themto get their stock back once they have a barn in place.

Right now the only thing I know about the fire is that the roof came down.

I can't stop crying and shaking...

Peg

Oh gosh, that is awful!!!:cry1: All those poor bunnies, it must have been terrible for them:shock:.

Please, all breeders, check!:pleaseplease:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

My heart goes out to the family. What a terrible tragedy to suffer right before Christmas.

It's important to note that single battery powered smoke detectors maydo little good if the family is unable to hear them in thehouse. Electric relays can be installed to set off an alarmin the house when smoke detectors go off in the barn. Theserelays can also be installed to alarms outside of the barn so thatclose neighbors can hear them.

Although my husband has installed many of these systems, we still don't have one in our own barn yet:(

The most common causes of fire in rabbitries is heaters being usedduring the winter. Many wiring systems cannot handle electricheaters which are a potential fire hazard. It's important toknow the amps that each heater draws and whether your wiring is ratedfor that draw. Heating lamps placed tooclose to flammables are also a risk. Any type of heatingsource as well as old wiring is a potential fire risk. Yourlocal fire department can help you evaluate the safety of your barn andmake recommendations for improvements.

Also consider having GFI's installed where heaters or fans are plugged in.

Pam

As an update to Peg's original post, the rabbitbarn was a total loss. No bunnies survived. The barn collapsed. Thefamily did have insurance for the barn and it's contents, but not therabbits. It's is however great to see that the lionhead community isalready rising to the occasion to offer breeding stock, cages etc. oncethey are ready to start up again. I've never met these folks, but onone lionhead forum I check out, there is nothing but great things beingsaid about them. Just say a prayer for Jeremy & Becky. Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

People can't say anything but good things about Jeremy &Becky. They have really been a blessing to the lionhead community -helping out with advice whenever they can...volunteering with thelionhead club to do whatever needs to be done.

I think within 3 hours of the list being notified that they'd had afire - a fund had been established and the doe that sold for $750 atauction last year (Lionhead Nationals) had already been offered back tothem.

For the lionhead breed, this is the third major fire we've had inbarns. One was Dawn Guth of Bastet's Bunnies that was 2 years and 8days ago. Another one was Gail Gibbons of Cimmaron Rabbits which wasalmost 2 years ago - or more probably?

This is so sad though - it couldn't have happened to nicer people and their stock was getting to be so good.

Peg

mambo101 wrote:
It's is however great tosee that the lionhead community is already rising to the occasion tooffer breeding stock, cages etc. once they are ready to start up again.I've never met these folks, but on one lionhead forum I check out,there is nothing but great things being said about them. Just say aprayer for Jeremy & Becky. Thanks,

Dan

OMG, what a nightmare. I am so sorry for thosepeople, I can't imagine how it must feel to lose all those lives, plusall the years of effort at building thier herd, the money involved,just everything. It's just horrible.

:bigtears::rose:

Latest posts

Back