Chalk's sore foot?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
This isn't as urgent as some of the other cases in here at the moment, but I just wanted to get a little bit of advice about Chalk's foot...

I've just noticed as she's been lying down on the top floor of their cage that one of her back feet has a sore reddish spot on the heel bit (I think it's the heel!). It's not bleeding that I can see, but the fur has worn away and it looks quite red, and it's a bit of a lump. Her other foot seems fine...

Now, the other day, she managed to get on top of her cage (silly me left the top open:() and then she jumped somewhere, not quite sure where she was heading, but she ended up jumping to the floor, but I think she might have hit our TV unit on the way. She seemed fine afterwards, no limp or anything, but could she have hurt it then, either hitting it on the way down or landing?

Or, could it be the floor in their cage? It's currently hardboard covered in lino, as if we put any kind of blankets/cushions/towels in there they get chucked out ASAP, with a look of disgust! :?

Any advice greatly appreciated! I would have got a picture but now she's sat on her foot! :rollseyes

Sounds like a sore hock. Some buns are prone to this, especially rex buns, that are on wire flooring. Give them something solid to rest on instead of sitting on the wireand treat the injury. I generally use basic Neosporin.

Randy

Thanks Randy!

They're not on wire floors at the moment, they're on linoleum in their cage, but outside their cage is tiled :?I think I'll put some carpet tiles down in their cage, and maybe dig out a rug for the floor outside to put down?

Is Neosporin a brand name, or should I be able to get it over here? Is it found in a chemist? Sorry for all the questions, I'm rubbish at first-aid! :?

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic ointment. Perhaps another UK member will be able to tell you what it is called over there, or you could ask your chemist.

Sparky is very prone to sore hocks and I keep a close eye on her feet. As long as they are not cracked or bleeding, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Keeping the nails trimmed helps a lot.

Bo had sore hocks to almost bleeding and the vet had me take some thick fleece for him to move around on. He has his bed up above in his cage with grass mats and then a layer of a fleece blanket that I have folded several times... it's at least an inch thick.

Be careful about giving them rug because they might eat it. Bo can't have rugs like that.

Flat surfaces can be bad also from what others have told me.

I have been looking for the thread I had - I'll post it if I find it. Bo's hocks are completely healed now. :)

They don't seem to eat rugs or anything like that- haven't yet anyway... I've put some carpet tiles I had down in the bottom of their cage, but need to sort out their shelves too. If I put anything on them- towels, fleeces etc it just gets kicked off! They seem to really really like the hard smooth surfaces, although they're obviously not doing much for their feet! :?

Maybe I'll try attaching the fleece etc to the shelf somehow so they can't kick it off?

I'll go to the chemist later too and try and see if they have neosporin or what it's called over here... meanwhile, if they don't have it, anything else I can use?

Thanks for the help people! :)

You can zip tie (cable ties) grass mats or fleece to the top levels..... depending upon how they do - they might work them loose at some point.

Bo has a sort of side rail to part of his upper level that keeps his stuff from sliding off mostly. Now and then he tries to pull it down to go into the "hideout" with him.. :rollseyes

Bocagetoplevel.jpg

Bo B Bunnies had issues with sore hocks... here is the link .

You can also try Bag balm on his feet if you can get it... the farmers use it on cow udders and it seems helpful to the inflamed skin on their hocks. Good that you caught it before it becomes infected or open!

Thanks for that. I can't get the link to work though :( I'll try have a search...

Cable tying fleece to the cage is a GREAT idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before... :rollseyes

We didn't make it to the chemist tonight before it shut, but went to the pet store (it's open late) to get some bits and bobs, and I got some tea tree ointment in there, it says it's for mild abrasions, sores and cuts etc, would it be ok to try that maybe in the meantime?

I'm quite keen to get it healed up quickly before it becomes any worse...

And it's lucky we caught it, if Chalk hadn't been lying in her normal way with her feet sticking out of the cage, we might not have! :p

Thanks for putting that up :)

Something that I found really helped to heal his hocks - I put a bit of fleece on the front of his litterboxes and left the woodypet in the back. He didn't have to walk on the woodypet as much..... I think that helped. Someone told me that fleece helps to "wick" away urine also. It does! the places he would pee - it was dry above it... I did have some wet fleece a few times but he did heal really well.I just washed the fleece with laundry soap and some oxyclean and it was fine. (oh and of course Downey! he loves that! lol)He has no wounds now, no hairless areas even...... I can tell he's feeling better and happier.

During Christmas, I found some nice Fleece throws for like $5. I got him a couple of them and switch them out on his upper level. He loves his blankies! I also give him a small fleece blanket so he can fluff it and snuggle in it.

Latest posts

Back